This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4: Curl-ups

Started by Gavin S, May 28, 2013 · 3 Replies · 211 Views

Gavin S

Hi guys,

 

I am starting a new cycle this week so I tested my Curl Ups to see where I am at with this exercise.

 

When I did them I felt it quite strongly in my upper hamstring and lower back. Is it correct that I am feeling it in my hamstrings? Am I compensating lower back weakness by trying to use my hamstrings more to complete the movement?

 

Unfortunately I don't have a vid at this time.

MrPuppeh

You should feel it in the hamstrings in my opinion, because they are supporting your upper bodyweight.

 

And SL/PE4 is Curl Up that brings to SL/PE3 being the Arch Up - But it does not matter in both of these exercises you should feel tension in your hamstrings.

Tyler Gibson

I have found that how much you feel this in your lower back as opposed to your hamstrings depends on how strong those two areas are relative to each other. If you have weak hamstrings and a strong back, you may feel this more in your hamstrings, and vice versa.

Eric Baum

I tested for mastery on this one today and felt exactly the same thing and had the same doubt.

 

My hamstring started burning, it is like the hams are holding an isometric position with increasing load, they burn a lot. I think I'm using unecessary strength there...

 

Other than that I felt ridiculously uncoordinated while doing this one so I decided to stay at least a microcycle on this one to get the spine control. At first it looked as easy as jeferson curls, how wrong I was =]

 

I'll post a form check for this one later.