This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Losing Mastery

Started by Robmob, May 28, 2013 · 10 Replies · 730 Views

Robmob

Is it possible to lose the mastery of certain elements after a period of time? Lets say you are proficent in RCPE14, behind the neck pullups, and try to do RCPE6 but fail to achieve the time, does this matter? Should you keep revisiting older elements to reinforce them?

Thanks

Joshua Slocum

If you already mastered an exercise, you may find that you lose a bit of endurance, and might only be able to do 2-3 good sets for some of the longer holds.

 

Note that this does not mean you can skip mastering an earlier element just because you can pass mastery of a later element.

Daniel Burnham

You should at this point keep a few of the lower progressions in you warmup to reinforce body shape and activation.  Eventually you will need to shed elements in order to have enough time to train new ones and what Joshua said will become true.

Jon Douglas
Daniel Burnham said:

You should at this point keep a few of the lower progressions in you warmup to reinforce body shape and activation.  Eventually you will need to shed elements in order to have enough time to train new ones and what Joshua said will become true.

While we're on the subject, should this be more of a rotation of previously mastered elements, to touch on different things, or a focus on different planes, for eg) 15 PPP/ 9 Russian dips/ 5x5 XR Dips?

Daniel Burnham

It should be a warmup of previous elements that can be done easily using the warmup rep scheme in the program.  I do think it is a good idea to do a different plane at least a couple times a week.  Your example is pretty good for a warmup though I probably wouldn't ramp up so quickly in it.  

Jon Douglas
Daniel Burnham said:

It should be a warmup of previous elements that can be done easily using the warmup rep scheme in the program.  I do think it is a good idea to do a different plane at least a couple times a week.  Your example is pretty good for a warmup though I probably wouldn't ramp up so quickly in it.  

Cheers for the vote of confidence Daniel, that example is very close to my current-- actually doing 15 PPP/9 Korean dips/ Lsit Russian atm for HBP :) dips are easy, balance and technique of Russian L are not.

 

What I meant though was more whether they should be rotated, or kept constant for a given cycle. For example, the static holds such as ABH and chin holds, I feel they work their muscles in different ways to the non-static elements, so I want to keep including them as I go forward, but as you pointed out earlier it can add up very quickly if you try to do a set of everything before getting into work sets. Not so productive.

At the same time, I prefer to keep a higher rep set of eg) PPP's and Bulgarian rows in my warmup than say, bench dips and negative pullups, because I feel they have more long-term potential development that I can eke out of them even if they aren't my primary focus. I wonder whether I'm just arbitrarily choosing the exercises I 'like' (I use that word somewhat ironically)...

 

I think I'm talking myself around in circles again. Any general thoughts on this subject?

Joshua Naterman

I would definitely take one day a week and focus the warm up on more basic exercises so that you can retain a reasonable amount of proficiency in them as well.

Robmob

Ok I will do that, especially the 60s hang, which I absolutely hate. 

Thanks 

Luke Hammond

The sixty second hang was the bane of my existence for a while...

ausswe

once i have the hang mastered i dont think i will ever end up removing it from my workout..... it is quite the beast

Jason Stein

Josh & Daniel-

 

Thanks for your posts, they are supremely relevant to my training.

 

jason