Supplements?

Started by scottbot, January 26, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,878 Views

scottbot

Hi, I was wondering if It would help to take any supplements such as whey protein or creatine or something after a training session? I eat generally healthy, and I have very little knowledge on supplements. (Heard just eating certain foods are better than taking supplements / growth stunt?)

Thank you!

Blairbob

Fish oil is good for the joints and other stuff. VitD looks very promising especially it being the winter. CalMagZinc.

Whey is good if you're not getting enough protein. I tend to drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of meat. I am a proponent of glutamine but hit and miss with creatine. Beta Alanine looks promising but my supplement budget is not great.

scottbot

Ah I am on a budget too.

How do I tell how much protein I should be getting a day/after practice?

And sadly I am lactose intolerant!!!

I was thinking about the vitamins too, would a simple mega vitamin a day work or are there specific vitamins I should take just for health regulation?

Blairbob

shoot for a gram per pound of lean body mass.

lactose intolerant? lactose pills. not really a huge deal just eat more meat. milk makes it easy for me because of it's low cost and how easy it is for me to drink.

i should probably take a 1 a day. i was doing a liquid one, but it's about 30 bucks a bottle. ouch.

Gregor

If you are lactose intolerant, take Whey isolate.

And take 2g per body weight of proteins per day.