This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1H1 - is it enough?

Started by Michael Taylor, May 26, 2013 · 6 Replies · 369 Views

Michael Taylor

When I first set out with F1, and then added H1, I had an idea that I would complete these routines and then add skills that I wanted to keep at the end - for example, Freestanding HeSPU and Bar Muscleups.

I have found as I have gone on, however, that:

- F1 is hard work! Enough work as you get near mastery level and 5 sets of everything that I have no energy or enthusiasm for anything else at the end!

- On the odd occasion that I have tested these skills out, I have not regressed and have actually improved

So currently, at 41 yrs old, with a full time job,(variable shifts, weekends, overtime), a young family and house renovations, F1 and H1 (with some handstand practice after H1) are all I do

From reading practically every post here, I see that many of you do other activities or additional training practices as well.

I think that my question stems from when I recently saw a video of a member's MN/PE2. It looked pretty much like mine - he didn't achieve full compression as per the course video, and the general advice was to improve this. Which made me consider, as I am in the same boat - is F1 going to achieve this, or does supplementary stretching need to be done?

My goals now are simple - to improve at F1H1 and master all the elements to the end goal. I don't think I have ever found a training program that I have enjoyed so much or have found as logical and holistic as this

By ONLY doing this course, can I get there, or is supplementary work (stretching and compression work springs to mind from just this example) going to ultimately be necessary?

I have the patience to recycle as needed and the work ethic to apply myself. I have also seen some amazing improvements (1st deck squat!), but I am aware that coaches gymnasts and most of you will do other stuff too to help you along

So, any thoughts about the title of this post - undoubtably, Coach has produced an outstanding and thorough product, but if this is ALL that I do, are F1 and H1 enough?

Jon Douglas

- Im finding they are enough *now*, as I've got a good grounding in basic mobility. I was doing some additional ring str series at first but find now that F is all I need to improve.my strength. H1 days are much more mobility, prehab and whole body integration focus than str at this stage
- I don't want to comment on adding supplementary work, one of the higher people will be able to tell you that one ^_^ personally Im all for more frequent light practice, that works for me, but I have too much free time sometimes~

Keilani Gutierrez

based on your goals, it can be enough or how well you understand your goals, to which i don't have much doubt. if your goal is to be "in shape" to undertake a certain sport, my answer is yes. if your goal is to progressively "fix" your weaknesses from the ground up, yes. if you want to play, then i'd suggest building your program across your goals.

F1 was created with a goal in mind "to begin laying the groundwork for more adv GST and dispel the confusion of beginning a very new way oftrainin for a lot of the population"

basic exercise theory goes around that if you want to train your upper body, you train it upwards in pulling and pressing, horizontally pressing and pulling, downward pushing and pulling and as an added bonus, it even focuses on hyperextended pressing and pulling.

for the core it covers what composes the core, obliques, abs and lower back also included in a multitude of ROM's dynamically and statically.

lower body, which does include the core, it focuses on hip strength, leg strength(ankle, knee, hamstring, hip) and also includes hamstring strength and conditioning as well as knee mobility.

depending on your goals, you have a lot to choose from and a lot of supplementary stuff, but thats best used entirely as a package, since GST trains every inch of your body from all sorts of angles, its crazy xD

just re-visit your goal and see if GST will get you there safer, shorter in duration of time, effectiveness and that you actually enjoy it. like they say, the juice has to be worth the squeeze :)

m6shifter

to the OP I also found that F1 was enough work for me to do after the 5th week. The 6th week it started to get serious for me. I also enjoy the exercises f1 has to offer. I am happy I purchased the product. I know it is going to take time to get the strenght to do extra work after F1 but thats ok with me.

Daniel Burnham

The mobility in Foundation one is excellent.  Some people will find that stretching does help.  Stretching is a very valuable part of Gymnastic Strength Training™ and should be done in tandem with the programs.  Stretch to improve whatever your problem areas are.

dynamo

I do additional stretching / mobility work not contained in F1 for problem areas I know I have / have had in the past; however I find the mobility work in F1 is awesome, necessary and hitting things I never would have hit without it.

 

Interestingly when I first started F1 I wanted to keep all the other skills I developed beforehand so I was concerned about stopping some of my "other exercises".  I found that there was a big enough overlap between F1 and some of my other skills that I could just stick with the F1 exercises.  For example the rope climbing (RC) progressions overlap well enough with pullups that I don't need to do the pullups separately anymore.

 

On the other hand (at least at my stage of F1) the one arm pushups seem unique enough to me that I still continue to do them (albeit with less volume) twice a week as supplementary work to F1.

 

So you may need to pick and choose how you integrate some of your other skills into an F1 curriculum.

Erik Rissanen

I add a bit of HIIT cardio work to F1H1 since F1 is mainly a strength training program. I want to have some cardio capacity because it is useful in everyday life to not get out of breath too easily, say when running to catch a bus. Also, cardio training appears to be important to long term health.