Lower back rehab/prehab routine ?

Started by MrPuppeh, May 25, 2013 · 14 Replies · 3,247 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi!

 

Just thought of strengthening my weak points, and since my lower back is a BIG weak point I need to work on it.

 

So anyone know a good rehab/prehab routine for the lower back that i can do every morning ?

 

Thanks in advance !

FredInChina

Arch holds maybe? :P

MrPuppeh
FredInChina said:

Arch holds maybe? :P

You are always the comedian, Fred :D

Mats Trane

Try dumbbel swings. Worked for me and I know Coach did them with one of his guys.

If you have the book Building the Gymnastic Body you can read about it on page 54. Good luck!

Blairbob

If back is tight, hang from something and pike and arch. Do straddle swings if you have the room (or tuck these and look like a monkey). Cobra/Sun Salute

 

 If back is weak, there is a lot you can do. KB swings, One leg deadlifts, Deadlifts, weighted squats, good mornings, RDL's, Reverse Hypers, Back/hip extensions. Reverse LegLifts/Reverse Hypers, HeS/HS LL.
 

Sinom

If you want something you can do every morning, I guess you are looking for some bw excersises. Both body saw and any plank work where you place your arms overhead hits the lower back hard. Both are easily scalable to whatever level you are on.

Keilani Gutierrez
Mats Trane said:

Try dumbbel swings. Worked for me and I know Coach did them with one of his guys.

If you have the book Building the Gymnastic Body you can read about it on page 54. Good luck!

Mat, what weight would you start with and would be a good goal to hit with dumb bell swings?
Mats Trane
KeilaniG said:

Mat, what weight would you start with and would be a good goal to hit with dumb bell swings?

Hard to give you a specific number. I used to do 3x10 on each arm with 10kilos for prehab. I weigh 64 kilos.

Blairbob

For smaller (gymnastic sized) guys, being able to swing a 1pood kg is alright. 1.5 for the bigger guys. And 2 for those people who can easily reach a High Bar or the Rings without much effort. This is for double handed swings.

 

DB swing is a bit different. It feels more muscled, so I'd say you have to use a heavier DB than a KB for the mechanics.

Keilani Gutierrez
Blairbob said:

For smaller (gymnastic sized) guys, being able to swing a 1pood kg is alright. 1.5 for the bigger guys. And 2 for those people who can easily reach a High Bar or the Rings without much effort. This is for double handed swings.

DB swing is a bit different. It feels more muscled, so I'd say you have to use a heavier DB than a KB for the mechanics.

in terms of DB vs KB, if it were a DB how much weight are we talkin about? the same for KB, how much?
Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

in terms of DB vs KB, if it were a DB how much weight are we talkin about? the same for KB, how much?

1pood = 16kg, 1.5 = 24kg, 2 = 32. KB's tend to accomodate swinging better too.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

1pood = 16kg, 1.5 = 24kg, 2 = 32. KB's tend to accomodate swinging better too.

oh...oops xD hahahaha 

FredInChina

It also very much depends on what sort of swing you are doing: the RKC hard swing is much, much more taxing than the GS swing.

with a 1 pood bell, I can RKC two handed swing intervals of 20r on top of the minute for 20 minutes (that gives me a 20 sec breather each minute) whereas I can continuously swing the bell for 20 min GS style alternating hands on the minute.

 

I changed to GS when starting F1; I found it helps recovery while RKC was too taxing :)

Blairbob

 Yep, GS swing looks a lot easier. Bend the knees and hips to use the legs more, less focus on hamstrings and lower back.

I generally hard swing but that's just because I wanted to hate my PC.