Jazz anyone?

Started by Luke Leaman, January 26, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,278 Views

Luke Leaman

My grandfather played the drums...jazz and Dixieland specifically. I was wondering if any of you guys like jazz? I am currently taking up the guitar and would love to learn jazz guitar and classic Spanish.

Joe Pass

How can someone's fingers move this fast, both Pass' and the bass player:

gymrob

I do love a bit of jazz. :)

I play trumpet and like to play jazz quite often though I'm not quite this good yet haha:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfCsVIWT9M

Good luck with the guitar if you decide to start playing.

Rob.

JoeS

If you want to be a jazz guitarist, my best advice to you is to avoid traditional guitar teaching which is based on chord shapes, box patterns, and tablature. This is fine for rock and blues, but jazz and classical is waaay more complex. Especially avoid tab because this leads to memorization which is not what you want. Learn how to read music and learn where all the notes are on the neck. This will give you the ability to follow chord changes without which you can't play jazz.

A good place to start are the instructional videos by Pass and Martin Taylor, but a really good instructor who knows jazz fingerstyle or pick-and-fingers (what Pass does) is invaluable.