This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090126

Started by Coach Sommer, January 26, 2009 · 12 Replies · 2,357 Views

Coach Sommer

0JHxecGNDxg

Complete four rounds:

5

10 Hopping HeSPUs

40'

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Post your time to complete all four rounds below.

notes:

1) Go directly from Cast Wall Walks to Hopping HeSPUs to Wallabys.

2) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

3) Hopping HeSPUs begin with a 90 degree arm bend, explode upward to full arm extension and then catch again with a 90 degree arm bend. Do not allow the arms to only slightly bend; but focus on bending the arms to the full 90 degrees. The Hopping HeSPUs may be performed either stationary or for distance.

4) If Hopping HeSPUs are beyond your current strength levels, substitute Wheels.

5) In this instance the Wallabys will be done for distance. At no time will your elbows bend, your hips pike or your back arch. Do not hesitate on the ground in between repetitions, but IMMEDIATELY rebound off of the floor into the next rep. Pausing during Wallabys greatly dissipates the intensity of this movement.

griffdrc

any tips to go from walking on hands to hopping hespu?

Jonathan Lin

During the wallabys, I found myself mostly pushing off of the heels of my hands, and landing pretty hard on them, is this correct?

Jason Stein

4x:

5 Cast Wall Walks

10 Hopping HeSPUs

40 feet of Wallabys

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

—Averaged about 4 minutes per set, with 2-3 minutes rest between rounds.

—I used power bands to facilitate the first 2 rounds of Hopping HeSPUs, then switched to doing them against the wall. It was hard to get full extension on the press. I can see where Hopping HeSPUs could turn into Face Pancakes.

Nobodystopsdblob

4 Rounds (2 rounds, broken sets)

5 Cast Wall Walks

10 Wheels

40' Wallabies (did 20 in place)

2 x 10 wrist pushups off knees

Snatch 1 x 100%... started with 135 to warm up and failed... shoulders too tired from body weight work.

Front squat x 1 from lower position start 225

3 rounds 1 min sprint 2 minutes active rest on rower 1965 meters 225.1/500m

Quick question, does the programming incorporate rest weeks at all or recovery weeks? Or is this up to the individual to back off when they begin to feel fatigued? I only ask because all this new work is starting to take its toll as I have sore shoulders and a sore back quite often and I am beginning to cut the workouts short on my own until I adapt but didn't know if I was doing the prematurely or not.

usalvr2

What are power bands? And, how would they help with handstand?

sinc, --g.

Coach Sommer

It is always acceptable to rest when your body is telling you it is necessary. While these workout are relatively easy for my athletes, it is impossible to design a workout that is suitable for all levels of strength and intensity. In your case, as you have been working very hard these past four weeks, I would recommend taking Tuesday through Thursday off from the GB WODs and begin again on Friday.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

You could use power bands as an assist for HeS to HSPU by making a harness for your shoulders but the subsitution was supposed to be wheels if you couldn't do the hopping 90 degree HSPU.

GracefulMonkey
Blairbob said:
You could use power bands as an assist for HeS to HSPU by making a harness for your shoulders but the subsitution was supposed to be wheels if you couldn't do the hopping 90 degree HSPU.

What if you cant do wheels either? And is there a substitute for wallabys?

Thx!

Gerald Mangona

Not the expert here, but I'm pretty low on the scaling tree. First I'd try doing the wheels on your knees, putting the frisbee there will cut the amount of weight you're carrying pretty significantly. And then if you can't do those, I'd go with clapping push-ups. Below that is clapping push-ups on the knees. Even below that is doing them against the wall....stand 3 feet away from the wall, and do a clapping pushup. Stepping toward the wall makes them easier, stepping further away makes them harder.

These WODs are very humbling. I can do some clapping push-ups. Doing them after 15 dips is another story. And then for four rounds?

But I'm glad to be using the WODs than trying to write my own programming. The tough part is figuring out the scaling.

J

Asclepius

Why is this being answered from 2 years ago?

Gerald Mangona

Ha. I was answering a post from yesterday...

by GracefulMonkey on Sun Jan 23, 2011

You'll have to ask him why he's doing a WOD from two years ago :)

GracefulMonkey
JmanDetroit said:
Not the expert here, but I'm pretty low on the scaling tree. First I'd try doing the wheels on your knees, putting the frisbee there will cut the amount of weight you're carrying pretty significantly. And then if you can't do those, I'd go with clapping push-ups. Below that is clapping push-ups on the knees. Even below that is doing them against the wall....stand 3 feet away from the wall, and do a clapping pushup. Stepping toward the wall makes them easier, stepping further away makes them harder.

These WODs are very humbling. I can do some clapping push-ups. Doing them after 15 dips is another story. And then for four rounds?

But I'm glad to be using the WODs than trying to write my own programming. The tough part is figuring out the scaling.

J

Thx for answer!