This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1>iM development bonus!

Started by wheezer, May 24, 2013 · 8 Replies · 416 Views

wheezer

So skiers have been getting easier and easier over the past few weeks. But suddenly, in the past week, I have found front-back balance in the bottom of the ski pretty difficult. It feels like my whole body alignment is really different and my hips/torso alignment is adjusting to it.

 

This morning I realised what it was. In the bottom of a ski I looked down at my feet: More of my feet are on the ground! My ACL Achilles tendon (the band that runs up behind the ankle) has gained a lot of flexibility! When I first started skiers, I really had to raise up onto my toes/balls of feet as I sunk down into a full squat. Now, the heel is halfway to the ground without effort.

 

This is awesome! Two months ago I saw this and thought I would need to do mobility work just for my ACL. But this increase of flexibility came without even expecting it! At this rate, it won't be long until I can get into a full squat with feet flat on the ground!

 

Anyone else find this?

Keilani Gutierrez

well, i felt the load more on my pelvis, due to the way is angled. i've felt less of this load as time goes on and once....I even got a nice deep "pop" in my right leg (my tightest leg) so i'm relieved it hasn't happened again! hahahaha

 

 

as far as depth goes, i do notice that my feet want to lift less from the ground as long as i do my work of  planting my feet, distributing the weight as much as possible between big toe, little toe and heel but i dont get that down always. 

 

more work to be done! :D

Jon Douglas

Great stuff wheezer!

SoyeBoy

I've been doing this IM by concentrating on keeping my heels on the ground despite the fact that I don't have the flexibility to hit full depth. Should I be lifting my heels off of the ground to get the required depth (glutes to knee level if I remember correctly)?

Jon Douglas

I did it the 'other' way, working with flat feet on a less than full ROM until my ankles loosened up. So I guess you can work on it from either direction.

gohei_

I did the same as Charm, feet flat all the time and work on increasing depth with each session. I hate them though, they are far more taxing than the squats.

wheezer

Is having enough achilles tendon flexibility to have feet flat on floor when glutes are knee-level necessary for SLS/PE1>iM mastery?

FredInChina

Yes, you need sufficient ankle mobility; the Achilles "flexibility" is part of that.

wheezer

Oh... so it's not so much a "bonus", rather what is expected. :)