This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

IM graduation questions

Started by RyanC, May 22, 2013 · 9 Replies · 259 Views

RyanC

With dislocates and moves involving shoulder flexibility and ROM. Are we supposed to stay on the prescribed im until we are able to do them shoulder width and Then move on. Or until we just do the prescribed number or time of the IM?

Jon Douglas

For dislocates, stay on the prescribed IM until you have just wider than shoulder width. Then move on, but keep working the mastered one with a slightly increased weight on the side :)

RyanC

That would mean i have a lil bit of a wait before i can even begin training the HS at All. I see i will need to get on these dislocates every day.

Jon Douglas
RyanC said:

That would mean i have a lil bit of a wait before i can even begin training the HS at All. I see i will need to get on these dislocates every day.

Everyone's in the same boat. I'll be doing wall wrist handstands for at least another month.

Joshua Slocum
RyanC said:

That would mean i have a lil bit of a wait before i can even begin training the HS at All. I see i will need to get on these dislocates every day.

 

Progress with mobility often goes in spurts. It may not be as long as you think if you're diligent about it. 

 

Also note that you can train the HS whenever you like. If you're anxious to get on your hands, there's no reason you can't spend some time after your H1 work trying to balance. It's just that your prescribed H1 workout won't contain handstand holds for quite a while, since there's a lot of stuff to master first before concentrating on handstands  :)

Badi

Hey like Hari_Seldon said (great book if you have the name form there :D) you can still work on your handstand after H1.

Especially in the beginning it will take some time until you get the flexibility in your shoulders. I could do a pretty solid handstand (around 45s, thats kinda "solid" for the people who danced with me) but after a couple month of H1 I can hold it way better and my average hold is around 1 minute now.

 

Maybe the form is not as "good" as it should be but its still hell of fun, especially when you are not an gymnast person whos required to have perfect form. I think yuval said it: "I rather have a beautiful banana shaped handstand than no handstand at all"

So from my point of view you should kick up onto your hands after you finished your H1 training if you feel like it =)

Joshua Slocum
Badi said:

Hey like Hari_Seldon said (great book if you have the name form there :D) 

Well, we are working on the Foundation series  :D

Badi

ohy my god this is awesome :D

Jonathan Cathcart

Sci-fi puns, nice!

RyanC

I figured as much. I'll keep working on balancing side by side with my HS workouts.