This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Work Discrepencies

Started by The Giant, May 18, 2013 · 5 Replies · 296 Views

The Giant

I've been exploring the wrist work a bit more and found something peculiar.

 

With Wrist Pushups, I have to start at PE1...I have to put very little weight on my wrist or it hurts, the left one in particular.  I have to really make sure I am feeling the muscles connect all the way to the palm of my hand, otherwise I get twinging pain.

 

On the other hand, for Wrist Rocks, and First Knuckle Pushups, I can do them already at SE3...both hands at the same time, on my knees.

 

The First knuckle pushups I can do on my knees but at the Walk stage.

 

One thing I noticed is that the long hollow position is actually much harder than the kneeling position, as I can bring more of my weight to bear with the longer extension of the wall hollow compared to the videos of the kneeling positions (in part this is because I do the kneeling ones on my panel mat, and the long hollows on a very hard wall.  The athletes in the videos have the padded walls which I'm sure makes these go a bit easier).

 

Any advice?  Are the kneeling positions supposed to be easier than the long hollows?

Micawberian

If the kneeling positions were meant to be easier than the long hollows, then the kneeling positions would have been titled as PE2, SE2. :P

The fact that you are at PE1 for wrist pushups and SE3 for everything else, just means you lack well rounded wrist mobility. Just give it time.

I think panel mat vs very hard wall answers your last question, no?

The Giant

So I'm still working with it and my answer is no.  Yes if my wall was padded that would help, but that is not what I am talking about...

 

 

See the long hollow versions feel A LOT harder than the kneeling variations...

 

I checked and I am kneeling in the same position as the athletes in the videos, but from that position, a lot less of my weight goes onto my wrists than does in the long hollow.  Long hollow puts quite a bit more pressure of my weight onto the wrist.

 

It really feels to me like the long hollow position should come in progression after the kneeling work.

 

Am I maybe doing something wrong here?

Joshua Naterman

The kneeling position difficulty is going to depend on how far behind your hips your knees are, and how much you are using your back to assist the motion. For example, if you have a very long hollow, but a very piked kneeling position, the hollow will be harder.

 

Making the kneeling varieties work for you can take a bit of practice, and there really isn't any other way besides hands-on practice with the exercises to learn what the right amount of pressure is.

 

My advice to you is to  work on these, make small adjustments with just one rep per adjustment to sort of zero in on the right spot for you, and to be a little conservative about how much pressure you start off with. It should feel like work, but shouldn't feel like there is any potentially dangerous wrist strain.

 

You've already figured out that your whole hand has to be active during the wrist push ups :) I think you'll get the position for the kneeling work figured out pretty soon.

Vincearoo

Post a video

The Giant

Will post videos starting next month when I finally get a new phone with a working camera.  :)

 

@Josh:  Yeah I kind of figured that out right after I posted.  I had my hips piked kneeling.  When I extend my hips to plank I get a lot more pressure.

 

I'm kind of at different places with all of them.

 

Aprox: 

 

WP/SE1

FKP/SE3

WR/SE3

FTP/SE1