This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mini mastery service

Started by Tomas Johansson, May 17, 2013 · 19 Replies · 672 Views

Tomas Johansson

It has been said that when the certification system gets launched you will only be able to certify for a certain level at a time. That may mean that for a certain exercise you have done PE1, PE2 and PE3 and that it has taken you almost a year to reach to that level which you are now trying to get certified.

 

The problem may be this, maybe you tought you mastered PE1 but the form was not up to par and now you have been doing PE2 and PE3 wrong aswell or unnecessarily hard because you didn't master PE1 correctly.

Even tough you compare yourself to the demonstration video details may be missed if you are not used to check your form by yourself.

 

I think time may be wasted if videos are only submitted when you have reached for instance PE3 on all elements and up to that level.

 

Yes, I think it is correct that the certification is done this way but what I would also like is a service where I can submit mastery videos whenever I like and of course pay per video.

 

Or maybe there is already such a service?

 

I don't think it's ok that I spam the forum with formcheck videos all the time.

Joshua Slocum

Whenever you think you've mastered an exercise, take a video of yourself and see if you think you stack up against the demonstration. If you're not sure, post a video here asking for a form check. 

Nic Branson

:ph34r:

 

On-line Coaching is currently  being developed, the idea of Mini-Mastery (yes I'm stealing your name) is a very good idea as the ok by an official OLC will eliminate any confusion and problems with testing. Consider it in the works :ph34r:

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

:ph34r:

 

On-line Coaching is currently  being developed, the idea of Mini-Mastery (yes I'm stealing your name) is a very good idea as the ok by an official OLC will eliminate any confusion and problems with testing. Consider it in the works :ph34r:

 

If it's feasible, I like the idea of mastery tests being available at the individual exercise level. It's nice getting feedback in frequent, small chunks rather than all at once every few months. And that way if you fail mastery on one element, you don't have to pay for an entire mastery test once you think you've fixed the one element you failed last time. 

Nic Branson

Testing for rank will be done in one single chunk, that being said the Mini-mastery will be designed as a form of video review and approval so you can check yourself in stages as you move forward and get no surprises with the actual test.

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

Testing for rank will be done in one single chunk, that being said the Mini-mastery will be designed as a form of video review and approval so you can check yourself in stages as you move forward and get no surprises with the actual test.

Could you please clarify what would be the difference between testing for mini-mastery in every element required for a rank, and testing for a rank?

Nic Branson

Consider mini-mastery a form check with clarification given for any problems. This can be done at sub mastery cycles to keep you from progressing with bad form and having to start over for example. No rank will be granted here, but doing this would ensure that you have good form and have no surprises at test time

Rank testing will be reviewing your level videos as a whole and granting you the rank or not.

Feedback here is welcome so it can all be fine tuned :)

FredInChina

I thought that the F forum and the digital coaching were handling this "mini mastery" (Doh!) quite well...

There is a risk of killing the "experiencing", and debasing the value of the lesson paired with each mistake with such micromanaging don't you think? :)

LateStarter@46

Hi, I don't think form check videos on the forum are spam. I like looking at how others are getting on and doing the exercises, it brings some reality to this online community and gives me motivation.

[Also I like seeing the tidy garages/ basements/ exercise areas  :) - so unlike mine with leaking roof, draughty decaying doors, and garage stuff.]

Cannister
LateStarter@46 said:

Hi, I don't think form check videos on the forum are spam. I like looking at how others are getting on and doing the exercises, it brings some reality to this online community and gives me motivation.

[Also I like seeing the tidy garages/ basements/ exercise areas  :) - so unlike mine with leaking roof, draughty decaying doors, and garage stuff.]

 

I was thinking the other day that it might be nice to have one stickied or official thread for each movement for people to post videos for form checks - like "sPL PE and iM Form Check Thread" wherein people post videos of any sPL (1-6 for F1) and have it critiqued.  This prevents 100 of the same thread popping up, and will allow people to read critiques all in the same place.

Jon Douglas
Cannister said:

I was thinking the other day that it might be nice to have one stickied or official thread for each movement for people to post videos for form checks - like "sPL PE and iM Form Check Thread" wherein people post videos of any sPL (1-6 for F1) and have it critiqued. This prevents 100 of the same thread popping up, and will allow people to read critiques all in the same place.

I like this idea too.

Finnbar
Cannister said:

I was thinking the other day that it might be nice to have one stickied or official thread for each movement for people to post videos for form checks - like "sPL PE and iM Form Check Thread" wherein people post videos of any sPL (1-6 for F1) and have it critiqued.  This prevents 100 of the same thread popping up, and will allow people to read critiques all in the same place.

That sounds great, would be a lot tidier and would give experienced forum members and mods an easy time of picking up form checks. It would also fix the thread naming issue when members are trying to look for previous form check posts when the threads named willy-nilly e.g. 'Form Question' or 'How Does This Look?

Coach Sommer

- I prefer not.  With all of the PEs, SEs and iMs we would end up with two to three pages of stickies before someone could even reach where the new posts begin.

 

- My preference is for the most pertinent points to be integrated directly into the courses themselves.

 

- Keep in mind however that the purpose of the private forums is for exploring course questions in detail, so all considered new course integrations would need to be extremely brief and terse.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cannister
Coach Sommer said:

- I prefer not.  With all of the PEs, SEs and iMs we would end up with two to three pages of stickies before someone could even reach where the new posts begin.

 

Well - I meant that there would be one sticky per end "goal movement" - sPL, FL, MN, etc - so 7 threads in total per Foundation subforum. I had imagined the First post of each to contain a FAQ of sorts - key points that have been discussed on the forums that aren't in F1 itself.  So the F1 sPL thread, for example would look something like this:

 

sPL/PE1: 

-Fingers should point out away from the body

-A very slight 'sagging' at the bottom of the rep is acceptable.

 

sPL/PE1>iM:

-Both glutes need to remain in contact with the floor, not just one.

 

sPL/PE2:

-point1

-point2

 

and so on.

 

And then what would follow would be specific questions, answers, videos for critiques, etc.

 

 

Just a thought - things do seem to work fine as is.  

 

As far as these "new course integration" points - could a thread be created for users to suggest points for consideration?

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

- I prefer not.  With all of the PEs, SEs and iMs we would end up with two to three pages of stickies before someone could even reach where the new posts begin.

 

- My preference is for the most pertinent points to be integrated directly into the courses themselves.

 

- Keep in mind however that the purpose of the private forums is for exploring course questions in detail, so all considered new course integrations would need to be extremely brief and terse.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What about a subforum devoted to informal form checks for each volume, or is that getting out of hand? There are a lot of video threads that receive the same advice.

Coach Sommer

How is that different from what we already have in place?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson

Too much information makes it harder for people to get into the material and ends up with more time thinking and less time learning how the movement feels.

Mini-mastery will be there for those interested it is not required by any means.

cheeto-man

I'm mostly a lurker but I must say I like the vids people post so please keep doing so. I also like the idea of a sticky or some place such vids can all be gathered for ease of viewing. I'd like to post myself - the feedback on form would be great.

Cole Dano
cheeto-man said:

I'd like to post myself - the feedback on form would be great.

 

You can post anytime you like, just start up a thread.

Nic Branson

Mini-mastery is for official staff feedback :)