This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Formcheck - MN PE2, RC PE1

Started by thanners, May 17, 2013 · 6 Replies · 275 Views

thanners

Hi guys,

 

I was hoping I could get some feedback on a couple of elements, specifically Straddle-Up and the Hinge-Row.

 

MN/PE2 Straddle-Up:

 

 

  • I think I need to remember to point my toes more. Hard toe-pointing in my vibrams tends to result in foot cramps, which is probably why I lapsed this time.
  • I need to get more compression.
  • This was actually a three-rep set, but I did four because I'd wavered on that second rep.
  • I'm wondering whether my form is good enough that I should move on when I get to week four (while continuing to strive for improved compression and higher chest), or whether there are serious issues with my form that I need to clean up while continuing to cycle weeks 1-4.

 

 

RC/PE1 Hinge Row:

 

 

  • I think I may not be pulling myself vertical enough.  Although due to my poor flexibility, it's actually a bit of a challenge just sitting up straight, which is probably why I'd _thought_ I was pulling myself to almost vertical.  
  • My glutes are off the ground, though it's difficult to see.
  • I just became aware that my elbows come out to the side a bit; is this okay?
  • Are the rings at an appropriate height?

 

Thanks!

 

Badi

Hey man, nice structure in your post ;)

I'll keep it short and clean:

 

1. MN/PE2: 

- I think you are doing really good on it, especially the 3rd and 4th rep looked good, ROM and technique wise

- Like you said you can work on the toes ;)

 

2. RC/PE1:

- Can you explain me how you do a good form straddle up but not being able to sit with a 90° between legs and torso? :D

Especially the stiffleg windmills and jefferson curls should fix this "problem". I dont really know where it comes from otherwise

- According to the video your elbow position is fine, its not really parallel in there aswell

From my point of view you could just go ahead cause I think the point of this PE is to get a good and strong pull, not really the 90° angle.

 

How are you doing IM wise?

Steffen575

Hey there,

 

For RC/PE1 you would have to sit with your glutes a little bit behind the rings.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like you're not sitting in the right spot. I think you should fix this. But it won't be easy, as you're already touching the wall with your head.

Could you do this somewhere else, or move the rings a bit further away from the wall?

KingJR

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I was under the impression that you basically should raise your upper body without curling your back. As in, your back should remain straight. So that you're basically "folding" into yourself with a straight back and legs. Again, not sure about this...other than that, they both look good.

Keilani Gutierrez

would it be allowed to put the feet in the wall to create a self-spot to improve form?

thanners

Thanks for the replies, guys.

 

Badi:

Ha, you're too kind. I think the thing with my straddle-ups, is that I'm curving quite a bit in my back to get myself closer.  It's probably about 90degrees at the hip, but my back curves.  I think it's been slooowly improving though, so I guess time will tell whether more windmills and jefferson curls and stretching will help get me there. (c:

 

Did you mean the iMs for these, or in general? I think most of my PE1 iMs are going fine, although my jefferson curl still has a little way to go -- at the moment I don't even need to do it on a bench since I don't need the extra depth.

 

Steffen575:

Thanks, I did try sitting a little behind my rings this time, having noticed this issue before, but the video does show that I still seem to be learning back some I'm approaching the top.  I may need to find another location to test this, if I need to sit further back.  Although I suspect it's also related to my poor ability to flex to 90degrees with straight legs and straight back, in which case I do not know whether this element will also end up being stuck until I achieve the required flexibility.

 

KingJR:

I believe you are correct.  I'm assuming it should be similar to a pike stretch -- straight back for as deep as you can, and only curving the back a little at the very end.  Looking at the athlete in the video, I can see that although his back is curved too, the angle at his hips is muuuuuch smaller. :P

 

Curling the back at the moment helps me get my hands to the ground, which is allowing me to hold myself steady for that small pause at the top, where I really try hard to flex at the hips and straighten my back.  I'm not sure whether it's better doing this, or working it at a height where I only keep a straight back (which means my legs will probably be lower, too, to counterbalance).

 

KeilaniG:

For feet against wall, did you mean for the hinge-row?

Keilani Gutierrez
thanners said:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

 

 

KeilaniG:

For feet against wall, did you mean for the hinge-row?

yeah, thats what i mean ^_^ it could be of some help creating enough awareness to keep in a solid position in your legs and with time lessen the spot to the point of not needing it to prove mastery.