This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE5 Hollow Body Hold (HBH)

Started by Eddie, May 17, 2013 · 1 Replies · 154 Views

Eddie

I just recently moved to FL/PE5 on Monday. In the movement description it says that the arms may also be placed down by the hips. When attempting mastery I had my arms above my head like Dillon in the video. On my 4th set I began to fail around 40s and I moved my arms to my hips. It was much easier and allowed me to finish the set. I feel as though I could move through this PE if my arms were down at the hips the whole time.

 

I have continued to practice with the arms up form, but I am wondering why this is allowed if it makes it easier? Anyone else have this experience?

Daniel Burnham

I prefer the hands up technique but I do both in my warmups.  Like Zach said the hands down is more like front lever.  Also it is more like swings on parallel bars and pommel.  The Hands up is good for teaching extension, but I find that some people have such a hard time with shoulder flexibility that this inhibits them from properly doing the exercise with the hands up due to back arch.

 

The HBH at this stage is more about maintaining the body shape rather than focusing on shoulders.  I still recommend hands up but find the one that is comfortable for you and does not hurt form.