Sudden weakness in left shoulder

Started by Andrew Browne, January 25, 2009 · 3 Replies · 4,876 Views

Andrew Browne

I have been doing handstands for a while, so my shoulders are not unaccustomed to supporting my weight. But about two weeks ago, after an intense workout during which I tried (a few times) to do a press from headstand to handstand, my left shoulder was super exhausted; and since then it has stayed very weak and had lost range of motion (wall extensions got much worse for left shoulder). But there is no pain or soreness. It doesn't even feel tired. It just feels like it lost a lot of its strength. Example: it is now difficult for me to lift a full jug of water (8 lb) to horizontal with a straight arm in any direction. Rear deltoid feels the weakest. Handstands against the wall got much worse, but seem to be slowly getting better. It's just really weird. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

By the way, hi everyone, I'm new here.

braindx

Probably pinched part of your nerve. Don't worry, they grow back in your body. But slowly.

Andrew Browne

I hope it doesn't take months to heal. I tested my external rotator strength with the exercise where you lay sideways and rotate a light weight outward with bent elbow. I found that my left rotators cannot even move the weight of my forearm. :shock: This seems to be a bigger problem than the weakness elsewhere (about 1/3 of pre-injury strength in all 3 deltoids). Thus, I did a few rotator cuff negatives with just my forearm. Giving up hope is starting to sound like a good idea.

Richard Duelley

Sounds like you need to go see a sports injury doctor. Thats what I did when my shoulder was acting up and I enthusiastically performed my physical therapy until everything was back to normal (took me about 4 weeks to get rid of my tendonitis and I even continued a lightened form of my training throughout my therapy).

One more thing, "Never give up, never surrender!" 8)

Good luck.