Victorian

Started by andiswf, May 16, 2013 · 30 Replies · 14,777 Views

andiswf

hey!

 

in case anyone is interested:

 

just did my 4th victorian training today after the motivation from ali zahran and his "hint" of how to get into the position with a good tension in my still weekest part in the chain!!!! must train my scapula way more! then the victorian should improve?!

 

 

my thoughts about exercises for a victorian would need an update :P

watch?v=i71qbS9yh20

 

Joshua Slocum

You're pretty close: that's a very impressive hold.

 

Nice dismount, too  :P

 

My approach would basically be to take standard maltese training, and do it upside down:

 

- victorian leans, focusing on the arm and scapula position

- victorians with a spot: have your spotter give sufficient assistance for you to hold good form

- victorian board presses (do with a spot or just negatives, if needed)

- scapula rows 

- front-lever rows with one arm straight?

piotro

Yes, nice hold, and dismount a'la Danny Rodriguez ;)

andiswf
piotro said:

Yes, nice hold, and dismount a'la Danny Rodriguez ;)

HAHA, he fell badly in doha 2008! ;)

ZRX38

Nice Molinari at 0:05 !!

andiswf
ZRX38 said:

Nice Molinari at 0:05 !!

thx, only v-cross is 'easy'!

kip to v-cross, whats named after molinari, is more challenging ;)

ZRX38
andiswf said:

thx, only v-cross is 'easy'!

kip to v-cross, whats named after molinari, is more challenging ;)

I didnt know that!! V cross is still amazing 

andiswf

...the correct shoulder-position is Xtremely hard!

(I mean NOT the shoulder hands alignement! thats easy for me as seen in the video above)

 

so my new victorian specific exercise for scapular retraction I will focus on for now looks like this:

andiswf

unfortunetly i couldnt train for a week :/

(hurt my finger..)

I would need to stick more to my special exercise from above!

in the 2nd attempt my shoulder was better then before =)

andiswf

my special exercise pays off =)

 

Daniel Burnham

Good progress!  What exercises did you find to be the most helpful?  I have a guy in my gym who is looking to start training these.

andiswf

thx!

in the first post on the buttom, I have put the link to a video called 'thoughts about getting a victorian' with some preps.

my fav exercise for now is the second video that is linked here "movie 860556".

however, I sent you a PM ;)

Blairbob

 Are you trying to hold the maltese or just bounce threw it? Because it looks like you try to do a solid V-cross hold but you would only receive partial credit for both malts. You'll get value but lose execution.

andiswf

thx for the advice!!!

 

to be honest, I did not pay attention to the 2secs rule of the COP!

also regarding the Vcross with the COP: it was not good! too high! but for the press into the maltese its easier that way.

I was just aiming for the victorian. it was the best i could do for now... i have to practice it a lot more ;)

 

in september/october I will work on fixing the perfect positions of the "non-victorian" holds. with long enough holds and in developing longer and longer sequences, what will build up a complete rings routine(for november) again. I will be bulking a lot then, haha!

 

Last year I went well with that planning. I think beeing the whole year on competative status would be too intense!

andiswf

scapula exercise pays off, but I still need to focus on that one exercise ;)

from today:

Joshua Slocum

Getting closer, nice work! 

FredInChina

Nice catch of your fall there. :)

andiswf

today only some reps:

B1214N

That's very nice! I can see that your victorians have improved. Are you also locking the arms or bending slightly in the victorian? I know Danny Rodrigues and that other guy bends their arms slightly because it's so hard.

andiswf
B1214N said:

That's very nice! I can see that your victorians have improved. Are you also locking the arms or bending slightly in the victorian? I know Danny Rodrigues and that other guy bends their arms slightly because it's so hard.

Thx!

regarding to the bend arms: the inner rotation  is massive and holding/pressing the rings towards the body is strong! ;)

but what seems to be the key is to add (to all this from above) the right scapula position..for me, thats the weekest part of the chain!

Joshua Naterman

Hey man, that's a noticeable improvement. Keep it up! Good luck and safe training to you :)

andiswf

thx a lot!

By now, I learned to be patient! so only 1-2x ring strength/week with enough regeneration and tons of scapula exercises and hours of stretching!

 

btw thx for all the youtube-subscribers. got more in the last day than all the time before ;)

Joshua Naterman
andiswf said:

thx a lot!

By now, I learned to be patient! so only 1-2x ring strength/week with enough regeneration and tons of scapula exercises and hours of stretching!

 

btw thx for all the youtube-subscribers. got more in the last day than all the time before ;)

NOW you're on the real path to success :)

andiswf

as some wanted to see the advanced dream machine in action, where you can choose the assisted weigth:

some time ago my best limit was 12,5kg help.

today I only tried the dream machine at the end of my conditioning...last set was just until I couldnt do any more :P

7.5kg was technically still "ok". 10kg was easy cheesy!

once more I realised, that I need to work on fixing the scapula!

so for now, no more victorians for 2-3 weeks!

 

 

andiswf

I just had to try some even on dismount day :P