This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Primate's questions

Started by Primate, May 16, 2013 · 9 Replies · 527 Views

Primate

Rather than new thread each time, I'm going to restrict my questions to this thread as they come up.  First of all, I am loving F1.  At first I was concerned that it was perhaps to remedial, as I have lost some strength since starting it,  I no longer have my muscle up for example, but I have identified so many weaknesses and movement limitations that I was avoiding in my haste to get to the "cool stuff" that i have no doubt I will exceed my expectations by the time I get back to doing the advanced elements I was chasing before.

 

that said, I've hit some walls and need some pointers:

 

  • SLS/PE1:  I keep falling over backwards standing out of the roll.  I suspect it is a compression / mobility issue restricting me from maintaining a tight foetal position in the roll.  I have moved back to MN/PE1 to try to address this.  Out of 5 attempts, I might get 1 or 2 reps without having to step backwards.  With a 5 lb kettlebell for a counterweight, I can do reps till I get bored, so.  Should I work with the counterweight? Or get rid of it and repeat the microcycle from week 1 until I have the mobility?

 

  • MN/PE1: Squeezing out every last ounce of compression with maximal strength at the top of the rep has made me realize that I have some tightness in my lower back.  Are the windmills sufficient to overcome this or should I be doing supplementary stretching?

 

  • MN/PE2: Common question, I have appalling pike and straddle flexibility, will repeating the first micro-cycle of MN/PE2 be the quickest way to improve my pike flexibility? because that is what is holding me back from MN/PE2.

 

  • Should I be doing supplementary work for my serious anterior pelvic tilt? I have quite a bad kyphosis stemming from an L4 spondylolisthesis and it's holding me back from good form for levers and handstands etc.  Or will foundation be enough to correct this?

Thanks all.

Primate

Thanks Zach.  It is indeed a major issue for me.  In my hollow hold I can now get my lumbar spine to touch the floor, which is quite an accomplishment.  I'm open to suggestions on correcting it!

Mats Trane

For the deck Squat, focus on reaching forward hard with arms/hands and keep your eyes on a focal point on the other side.

Also try to dig/hug the floor with your toes.

Primate

Thanks Mats, but that's not the issue, I simply can't reach forward enough without heavier hands!

Joshua Slocum

A cue I like to think about is pressing my heels into my glutes and leaning my chest onto my knees; this helps to maintain good compression. 

CraigR

I use the same cues that Hari mentioned above.

 

At first I was trying to stand up too early in the movement so the cue of leaning my chest onto my knees helped with this.

 

Secondly and this is where I found my biggest improvement, I had to focus not just on the movement of pulling my heels into my glutes but on the actual timing of that movement.

 

It probably goes without saying but your heels should be as close to your glutes as possible at the same time that your heels start to come in contact with the floor.

 

After that it was just lots of practice.  Good luck!

Primate

Next question:

 

I've had an off week this week, Week 3 in my cycle, which should be the hardest week in the cycle.  I've been working long hours, the kids have been keeping me up all night, and I've been eating crap to cope with the sleep deprivation.  As a result of excuses, it's Thursday now, and I haven't done any of my workouts yet.  I do 4 days per week.  Realistically, I'm probably not going to cram in T,F,S,S workouts, because I'm still pretty drained, and I know I won't be working at my peak.

 

So, do I deload next week anyway?  or should I repeat last week?  move week 3 to next week? or just repeat the cycle all over?

Joshua Slocum

I would do two workouts this week at week 2-level intensity, then do week-3 next week. 

Coach Sommer

Questions should not be grouped into one thread.  Specific questions on a specific topic should be posted separately to facilitate forum searches and keep the discussions focused.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bipocni

As far as SLS/PE1 goes, I try to punch forward (not a literal punch, but that kind of power) It's not enough to just let momentum carry me back and forth, I add a little extra power on my way back up.