I've been thinking of getting resistance bands to help me with my front lever like coach Carl Paoli shows should I get them
Resistance bands for front lever development
Started by homegymnast, May 15, 2013 · 10 Replies · 11,389 Views
Why not just start from tuck and progress from there instead of using bands? The bands will take away some of the core component.
DONT use the bands as your MAIN work. You can use the bands to get the feeling of whatever your working on.
A few years ago I tried to use bands as my main work for Frontever and after 3 months or so I tried without bands and I had actually gotten weaker.
Don't get a tip from a crossfitter regarding gymnastics
Carl was a competitive gymnast before he was a crossfitter. However in this case his progression is not optimal.Richard Burns said:Don't get a tip from a crossfitter regarding gymnastics
The idea of using bands is a good thought but it really changes the feel of the position and usually causes people to change body shape. Most people assume bands are a good substitute for a spotter. I have found this to not be true.
I don't know how Carl learned the front lever but I do know a lot of gymnasts are simple spotted into the position until they get it so Carl is probably just going off what he knew and making it accessible to everyone.
Again this technique does not work as well as coach's progressions. Use those if you really want to make gains.
Bands are a good tool if you're already very strong, and just need a little assistance with learning the position; they are pretty good for transitioning from one progression to the next harder one, especially if the gap is large. For example, if you have a strong half-lay front lever but you're having trouble learning the full-lay front-lever, using a band to help to get the feel for the position can be helpful. For general strength-training however, bands (and also dream machines, counterweights etc) are inferior to full-bodyweight exercises. You'll get a better front-lever, faster, by following progressions instead of progressively decreasing the resistance of the band.
Richard Burns said:Don't get a tip from a crossfitter regarding gymnastics
OUCH! ![]()
assisted work (talking in terms of loop bands or partern assistance) is used bay the high level athletes. during my last training day with morandi he talked about some long isometrich hold (15 sec or more, sometime to muscles failure) over some elements but only if you have previously mastered the hardest version of them , but during their development he has nevere use them...
alex87 said:assisted work (talking in terms of loop bands or partern assistance) is used bay the high level athletes. during my last training day with morandi he talked about some long isometrich hold (15 sec or more, sometime to muscles failure) over some elements but only if you have previously mastered the hardest version of them , but during their development he has nevere use them...
Even then, bands are rare. It's much better to have a human spotter, who adjusts the pressure to the minimum needed.
Dissing Carl Paoli is kinda dumb. Especially considering he was a National level gymnast for Spain. I think he was International as well but that was probably Euro's ( I don't think it was World's or the Olympics as a team member). No idea.
CrossFit loves bands and generally has a lot of them around. How many people do you think are at a box that know how to spot? How many people would be willing to? So they work alright as a self-spotting tool.
I've played with them before and it's fun but I prefer spotting or changing body position.
Yeah, Carl Paoli is an elite gymnast. His videos just cater to the crossfit audience. He probably developed those skills differently from the methods in his videos. Probably with spotter or changing body positions.