This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can wrist work be done every day ?

Started by MrPuppeh, May 15, 2013 · 16 Replies · 757 Views

MrPuppeh

The Wrist exercises as described in H1 - Can they be done everyday for rehab/prehab ?

 

If done properly with the right pace - I can feel my hands/wrists/forearms being warmed up and strengthened.

Ravn

I do them at every F1 session as warmup, but not always at full intensity.

 

On MN/SL/SLS days I currently do them at PE4, while on FL/sPL/HBP/RC days I do them at PE3. If I go full intensity each session, my wrists go slightly sore - No reason to push them too far.

wheezer

I stick to 3x a week for the wrist exercises. But the wrist stretches I think I could enjoy doing lightly and gradually every day if I wanted to boost my development. They're such a good overall forearm warm-up/prehab.

Joshua Slocum
wheezer said:

I stick to 3x a week for the wrist exercises. But the wrist stretches I think I could enjoy doing lightly and gradually every day if I wanted to boost my development. They're such a good overall forearm warm-up/prehab.

This is exactly what I do. 

Nic Branson
wheezer said:

I stick to 3x a week for the wrist exercises. But the wrist stretches I think I could enjoy doing lightly and gradually every day if I wanted to boost my development. They're such a good overall forearm warm-up/prehab.

Well said. Be nice to your wrists, over abusing them will set you back for a bit as they heal.

FredInChina
MrPuppeh said:

The Wrist exercises as described in H1 - Can they be done everyday

 

You'll get blind! :blink:

 

:lol:

MrPuppeh
FredInChina said:

You'll get blind! :blink:

 

:lol:

why ? :o

Jon Douglas
MrPuppeh said:

why ? :o

Yes, Fred, why IS that? ^_^

Nic Branson

Fred speaking from experience ?

MrPuppeh
Nic Branson said:

Fred speaking from experience ?

I actually remember when I was doing karate at a young age  the trainer said that doing pushups on your fingers will damage your vision. I don't know if it was serious or truth. 

FredInChina
MrPuppeh said:

I actually remember when I was doing karate at a young age  the trainer said that doing pushups on your fingers will damage your vision. I don't know if it was serious or truth. 

 

hehehe, I don't think it has anything to do with what I was alluding to... :D

However,

 

I've heard that too. :)

I've also read (a long time ago, so I may not remember correctly) that one should only punch with the first two knuckles, and avoid using the pinkie & ring fingers for they have a connection with the optical nerve and damage there could alter vision.

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

hehehe, I don't think it has anything to do with what I was alluding to... :D

However,

 

I've heard that too. :)

I've also read (a long time ago, so I may not remember correctly) that one should only punch with the first two knuckles, and avoid using the pinkie & ring fingers for they have a connection with the optical nerve and damage there could alter vision.

I've heard several variants of this one; sometimes it's meridian flow and sometimes it's overstimulation of nerve endings in the fingertips.

 

Finger conditioning doesn't need to be done every day for some cool party tricks anyway. In the modern world it's best not to push holdovers from times when life expectancy was shorter and short-term battlefield prowess was the priority; not enough people lived long enough to observe the effects of what people are now finding to be waaaay too much/quick on the delicate bones of the hand (particularly Japanese styles). In my time in Japan I also met a few old-school karateka who had hands like pile-drivers, crazy power/speed but very little mobility.

 

Edit;

Taekwon do is also fairly notorious for this. Take home; train smart and do not rush things, too many things can go wrong in the hands and you only get one set ^_^

FredInChina

Warning: Major thread hijack in process... :D

Charm said:
(...)  Mas Oyama is a notorious case of not looking after his hands despite incredible feats, unable to tie his shoes or sleep with the pressure of even a blanket on his hands after retiring (...)

 

Have you got sources for that Charm? :)

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Warning: Major thread hijack in process... :D

 

Have you got sources for that Charm? :)

Secondhand only; I am happy to defer to your superior Kyokushin-kai knowledge here. If this is a popular misapprehension or a detractor folk story then I shall stand corrected. I have certainly seen firsthand the damage people will do to their hands in the pursuit of the perfect punch. That extreme example may or may not be true; I have heard it in several places and will have a hunt to pin down sources a bit later if this is a bone of contention. No politics arguments or any disrespect to exemplary martial artists express or implied ^_^

 

Edit;

Quick Internet search turns up the same story, but no verified source immediately forthcoming, only 'I heard that' discussions . Will remove my references to that particular case rather than keep digging out of respect.

 

However, I've seen too many people hurt themselves in the short and long term to think that my comments are otherwise invalid, and I stand by em.

FredInChina
Charm said:

Secondhand only; I am happy to defer to your superior Kyokushin-kai knowledge here. If this is a popular misapprehension or a detractor folk story then I shall stand corrected. I have certainly seen firsthand the damage people will do to their hands in the pursuit of the perfect punch. That extreme example may or may not be true; I have heard it in several places and will have a hunt to pin down sources a bit later if this is a bone of contention. No politics arguments or any disrespect to exemplary martial artists express or implied ^_^

 

Edit;

Quick Internet search turns up the same story, but no verified source immediately forthcoming, only 'I heard that' discussions . Will remove my references to that particular case rather than keep digging out of respect.

 

However, I've seen too many people hurt themselves in the short and long term to think that my comments are otherwise invalid, and I stand by em.

 

No beef with anything you say Charm, just looking for sources that confirm or infirm a story that goes around... There are way too many opinions about what may or may not be legend, and far to little verifiable facts. :)

Just yesterday, a discussion broke out regarding Andi Hugh training regimen; a book published what they say was his weekly routine, but when I added up everything, it made for over 47 hours of training per week! :facepalm: ... Yet, people would argue to death that is is true.

Worse yet, some kiddie will read that and attempt to imitate the Great Andi Hugh, and seriously hurt himself! :wacko:

Chisei

*Aaaaaand back to the main event  :D *

I have done the three main types of wrist pushups (on all fingertips, first knuckle raises, and reverse wrist pushups on the back of your hands) everyday for a couple months without detriment when I was rehabbing some wrist/forearm stuff, and I continued that for some time after. Sometimes I would my 1-3 sets of 10 each twice a day when I was rehabbing, but went down to once a day after I healed (when I also started pairing them with the wrist stretches). It felt awesome, my wrists never felt better. 

 

The important thing to remember is that it is not strength training, and must never be pushed too hard. If it feels bad, stop (though certain occasional discomforts for me went away after a few reps). I never had an issue and I don't see why you would, as you should only be doing progressions you can handle comfortably. So my answer to your question is Yes!

Keegan Y

Fred, in reference to your hijack regarding hand conditioning/Hugh, 47 hours a week of training is actually not out of the question.

I know for a fact that both Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace trained that much (or more) when they were training in Okinawa. I wouldn't be surprised at all that a hardcore oldschool Thai fighter like Hugh would have done the same.