This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Undergrip Korean Dip HBP/PE10

Started by Mats Trane, May 15, 2013 · 18 Replies · 662 Views

Mats Trane

Played around with these this morning. It was the first time I ever tried them and they felt very interesting. I´ve done a similar exercise on rings but never on  a bar. Different for sure.

 

Does anyone have any experience with these? If so have you felt any carryover to other gymnastic strength elements?

Christian

I did these a while back. For me they are a very nice active stretch. But haven't done them now in a long while.

Alessandro Mainente

the best results are concerned with increased rom during shoulders motion. before that version i wasn't able to reach the hands level with a dip. after various months working on them the rom increased...at the beginning was a little bit hard learn how to overcome the bar during the ascent movement, the concept of pushing forward the hips was very strange...

Ravn

I definitely enjoyed them in the past. Nice stretch going on, and they develop a... different pushing capability. In my mind they are somewhat related to pelican pushups, albeit not as hard. 

Mats Trane
alex87 said:

,the concept of pushing forward the hips was very strange...

Agree! I guess it comes with time.

Besides rom, have you you felt that this exercise has given you advantage in other gymnastic strenght moves?

Alessandro Mainente

they helped my a lot for some rings skill as the slow backwardroll to support with straight body.

but for sure the point of zach...is better

Jon Douglas
Zach Armijo said:

I consider these a maker diagnostic exercises. It will let you know very quickly your weak points. I don't find then as challenging strength wise as other elements, but again, like PPP, they let you know where you stand.

Yeah, this for me too. Strengthwise I find em easier than single bar dips.

Nic Branson

Korean dips really start to test your "rhythm." Can you put the pieces together and make this movement smooth.

Mats Trane
Nic Branson said:

Korean dips really start to test your "rhythm." Can you put the pieces together and make this movement smooth.

Yea lots of technique and mobility in this move

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

Korean dips really start to test your "rhythm." Can you put the pieces together and make this movement smooth.

It should be noted that the rhythm really is key. My first few attempts at these, I could go down, but I'd always get stuck on the way up. Then I figured out how to time the press back up with the slight swing of my torso, and I was suddenly able to do them without a problem. 

LIE

Today i manage to master the korean dip...

The key is really u should keep the body straight.

If i bend my knee a litle then it must be a fail to press up

Alessandro Mainente

i'm the only one person on the planet who is able to break a vein in the hand as a consequence of strong grip to do the korean dips..

i understand that is possible..

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

i'm the only one person on the planet who is able to break a vein in the hand as a consequence of strong grip to do the korean dips..

i understand that is possible..

=-O

Too strong to train.... >.<

Alessandro Mainente

really, i can't grab a pbar or a rope and doing a handstand is difficult, i hope it heal before next week...london seminar!

the reality is that i have the hands of a princess!

Chisei

Mats Trane, I'm guessing that the "similar exercise on rings" you referred to in your OP is RTO dips, which is probably my favorite, and hardest, dip variation I've come across. I hadn't thought about how these two are similar before, but they have the same body position and lean, and hand and shoulder positions as well. Very cool. UG Korean dips are certainly easier though! And a good bit of fun. It's rare that you have to use rhythm and slight momentum for strength moves, but it's a nice break. 

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

really, i can't grab a pbar or a rope and doing a handstand is difficult, i hope it heal before next week...london seminar!

the reality is that i have the hands of a princess!

When I was competing mma in Japan I got trash talk from some of my Brazilian mates over my wing chun. I still don't know who it was that managed to change my registration details to have the ref announcing Jon 'girl hands' Douglas >.<

FredInChina
Charm said:

(...) Jon 'girl hands' Douglas >.<

 

HAHAHAHAHA... that's funny! :D

B1214N
Charm said:

When I was competing mma in Japan I got trash talk from some of my Brazilian mates over my wing chun. I still don't know who it was that managed to change my registration details to have the ref announcing Jon 'girl hands' Douglas >.<

Did you beat them with Wing Chun?

Jon Douglas
B1214N said:

Did you beat them with Wing Chun?

Only ever sparred with those particular guys, we were training in the same gym. I did reasonably well for an undercard amateur otherwise. The weirdness factor of being a white guy in Tokyo with Chinese martial arts, especially as the Yip Man films came out at hat time, was also probably in my favour a bit.

 

That said, Sifu's (Wan Kam Leung's) YCQ is somewhat different to what people usually think of, more like a sort of cross between taiji, xingyi and Western boxing. I also have a broad background in martial arts, several years working in security roles, etc so what I apply these days probably can't be called 'purely' wing chun, but thats a whole different discussion.

 

 

FredInChina said:

HAHAHAHAHA... that's funny! :D

It followed me home to Oz via Facebook too.

It gets better. I have about the least ladylike hands you can imagine without being a lumberjack; thick calluses down to the bone, stubby fingers, broad square palms, plenty of scars and prominent 1st and second knuckles (from choy lay fut chaap choi/leopard fist). So naturally, every single one of my classmates swears blind that I have about the daintiest lilywhites they ever did see.

Bah anyway. At least they keep me on my toes, friends don't do that >.<