This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 1 complete! Wrist work questions...

Started by The Giant, May 14, 2013 · 4 Replies · 252 Views

The Giant

So just did my day 1 of my program, and feel pretty good about it. Overall the work feels light, but some of it is new or challenging (some but not all of the F1 IM), and I can feel all of my muscles waking up and working.

 

For review I have several exercises and stretches I do first to warm up (given to me by my coaches to address specific issues for me), then I do H1 5 days a week (M-F), and 3 days a week(M-W-F) I do F7...minus the squat work, which I do on the in between days (T-Th-Sa).

 

 I was supposed to start yesterday, but girl problems over the weekend sapped my Monday morning energy and I didn't have the will or energy to train. :(  So I started my Monday day today, and will go through Saturday, then reset to the usual Monday on Monday next week.  I figure it's light enough now to not need two days of rest at the end.

 

On to the questions about the wrist work:

 

The great news is I have fantastic wrist flexibility...all of the stretches give me no problems (if anything I'm feeling it more in my previously dislocated right shoulder).

 

When it comes to WP and WR, PE 1 is a cinch...it's easy for me to do 5x5 of these on PE1...should I progress to the more challenging PE2 for these two?

 

For FKP, the volume is not the issue, but I don't have a 90* ROM for them.  Should I just do 5x5 on PE1 until I hit 90*, then move on to PE2?

 

For FTP, again 5x5 of PE1 seems very easy, but for this particular exercise, I don't know that I have the strength to just move to PE2 so should I just stay at 5x5 PE1?  How will I know when I have enough strength to move on to PE2?

 

OR...should I just ignore what my body is telling me and follow the program, so things don't get out of synch?

Joshua Naterman

What do you mean when you say you feel it more in the preciously dislocated story?

 

I would suggest spending the first week (and maybe 2, but for sure the entire first training week using the mastery week if it's easy for you) just on PE1, to make sure that there isn't a delayed response, but I think that you're going to be fine going to PE2 for the wrist stuff.

 

For FTP PE2 specifically, just don't lean so much. Find the amount of lean that lets you feel it JUST a little bit, and stick with that until mastery is comfortable, and then lean a bit more, and so on, and before too terribly long you'll safely find yourself in the same position you see in the video!

Joshua Naterman

Also, for you especially, working through all of the  handstand PE exercises exactly as written might be what you need to do in order to fix the eye aneurysm/hemorrhage issue.

The Giant

Back when I was young and dumb, I used to win popping battles by doing a dislocation move on my right shoulder.  Of course it did no favors for my stability on that side.  So when I do the wrist stretches, particularly the first and last, I feel it in that shoulder when I lean into the stretch.

 

Sounds good.  I think I may need to skip to week 5 for scapular shrugs, tucks ups, and incline pushups at least...what do you think?

 

Interestingly tuckups are easy, but for the bent hollow hold, even though I can do it with perfect form for 3x12 right now, my abs and body start to shake almost immediately in that position.  

 

Definitely on week 1 for arch body holds, and hinge rows.

 

And yeah, starting at week 1 with tripods, just to get back into the feel of inversion, and also because my neck needs strengthening...when last I had mastered headstands, I was about 60 lbs. lighter than I am now.  Taking it nice and conservative with those.

The Giant

Day 2 Update!

 

Did 5x5 on the wrist work today...even with PE1 it's actually quite a lot of volume.  One thing I noticed is that my wrists feel fine...where I'm feeling the movement is more where the biceps and deltoids connect, in part from having my arms raised horizontally, and also for example in the wrist rocks which bend the elbow and shoulder slightly.  Little weak links in the chain, eh?

 

Also, today was my day to do only H1 and the squat day of the F7.  As I've said this is my big sticking point, so rather than doing deck squats, I am using the same mastery template for goblet squats and assisted squats (free standing squats, but I grab onto something in front of me, similar to a lat lean, to help me get lower in the movement).

 

My wrist mobility is freaking amazing.  My shoulder mobility is excellent but with room for improvement.  My hips and leg mobility is atrocious.  I do skiers in between sets of the goblet and assisted squats, and I can't get my butt anywhere close to level with my knees.  I feel an excellent workout in the butt though, and the medial glutes.