This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Problem completing IM - how to proceed?

Started by SoyeBoy, May 14, 2013 · 12 Replies · 407 Views

SoyeBoy

I am having trouble with MN/PE1>iM (Stiff Leg Windmill) on my right side.

I am currently on Week 3 and on the last two sessions trying this exercise it has caused sharp pain in my right shoulder to the point where I have had to discontinue the exercise on this side. My right shoulder is definitely tighter than my left shoulder, but I was able to complete this exercise previously with some difficulty over the first two weeks. I can perform the exercise well on my left side.

Should I proceed with protocol minus the IM on my right side until I am able to complete the prescribed repetitions pain free? I am thinking that I should continue until deload without the right side and reset to Week 1 - perhaps this is too cautious as I feel that I am progressing well with MN/PE1 notwithstanding my issue.

 

I am currently performing the IM with a small DB bar with 2.5kg added. I have tried to perform the IM on my right with just the bar, but the pain continues.

 

 

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

hmmm, i used to get an uncomfortable sounding (key point here) so i understand your worry on this one. 

 

do you by any chance have a recording of you performing the iM? there's ways on tweaking it to make it less or more challenging. 

 

I've noticed that there's like three different types of ways i can perform the downward spiral with my shoulder and the one on video with Dillon(the name of the athlete in the foundation series doing this exercise) performing it that way diminished my shoulder clicking. 

 

just post a video and we can give you better feedback ^_^

Alessandro Mainente

you have to understand what is the limiting factor. usually there is a tight muscle that is the cause of an incorrect alignment during an exercise (and of course the reason of the pain). the form and technique is everything. for my personal experience, follow the mobility of H1 and F1 for the shoulders is good, but when you are approaching the exercises of one hand/one arm variation, consider the idea to do 1 set for the tight arm, then  1 set for the other, then another set for the more tight arm. this strategy works well. the idea is not increase the rom of the good arm until the equilibrium between the arms (in terms of rom) is achieved.

Joshua Naterman

You may have very poor internal rotation, or your scapula may be tilting anteriorly, and either of these could be causing impingement, which is almost certainly what you are getting pain from.

 

On the painful side, try to focus on pressing the scapula itself directly up towards the ceiling while keeping the shoulder rolled back, and at the same time try to externally rotate the UPPER arm a bit. Don't try to force it all the way, but you should be able to feel the difference between what you are doing now and how it feels when you externally rotate enough to clear the sub-acromial space.

SoyeBoy

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will take all suggestions on board. I have a video of my first time doing this exercise - I have improved my technique since this, but you can clearly see the discrepancy between left and right (although there was no pain at this stage). Since originally watching this video the only cue I was really concentrating on was to keep the dumbell directly above the shoulder as I could immediately see that I was going a bit wonky here. I don't feel like my hamstrings are an issue here as I can comfortably keep my legs straight (I have seen others complaining of an inability to keep legs straight).

 

Apologies for the poor camera position. My legs were straight throughout and I was reaching through my legs and behind, not touching the floor.

 

 

 

palleon86

I used to have trouble with this exercise as well.  Since I've started including wall slides on an (almost) daily basis, I have had no problems with this iM.

pogo69

I also had great issue with form in the Windmill to begin with - a combination of 'lack of coordination' and chronic shoulder tightness

 

I started H1 four weeks after F1 - all the H1 work on shoulder mobility, along with patient, gradual improvement throughout the F1 cycle has seen massive improvements in mobility

Jonathan Cathcart

Is there a reason the athlete internally rotates their shoulder so far in the video? I've always been taught to do windmills in external rotation as it's a much more stable and comfortable shoulder position.

Keilani Gutierrez
SoyeBoy said:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will take all suggestions on board. I have a video of my first time doing this exercise - I have improved my technique since this, but you can clearly see the discrepancy between left and right (although there was no pain at this stage). Since originally watching this video the only cue I was really concentrating on was to keep the dumbell directly above the shoulder as I could immediately see that I was going a bit wonky here. I don't feel like my hamstrings are an issue here as I can comfortably keep my legs straight (I have seen others complaining of an inability to keep legs straight).

Apologies for the poor camera position. My legs were straight throughout and I was reaching through my legs and behind, not touching the floor.

I can't see from the angle, how are your feet placed? and to get the most out of this stretch push your hip back before you descend, it'll feel great :)
SoyeBoy

More than shoulder width apart with feet facing outwards.

Coach Sommer

- One foot should face forward with the other foot facing the side.  Check the iM photos and video for specific placement.

 

- This movement should be comprised of a full internal rotation followed by a partial external rotation.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Finnbar
Coach Sommer said:

- One foot should face forward with the other foot facing the side.  Check the iM photos and video for specific placement.

 

Should this element produce a stronger stretch in either leg? If so which one? I am still unsure exactly where the stretch should be felt.

Jon Douglas

I have a friend interested in F1 who had a shoulder dislocation (not her first time, unrelated prior first injury) precipitated by windmills in the past. She's now, understandably, not comfortable with doing them.

 

Quick disclaimer for anyone now worried- I've regularly done windmills with 1/2 my bodyweight in each hand and not had the slightest trouble with my shoulders. Use strict technique and gradually increasing weights. I believe she ended up with less of a twist and more of a rear raise on an already prone sholder, although I'm not 100% on the details.

 

In that situation, what's the verdict? I'm not sure how she'd feel about doing em unweighted; any recommendations?

 

Edit;

I don't mean to derail; it seems like the OP question is pretty well covered.