Elbow pain relative to center of gravity and position in rope climbs/pullups/levers.

Started by landgabriel, May 14, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,759 Views

landgabriel

Greetings, new to the forum, been training gymnastics style and stretching regularly for almost two years now.

 

I developed some bad elbow problems doing heaps of pullups years ago, which forced me to constantly experiment with form to try and ameliorate the pain. I got the pain doing high reps like crossfit, but after it appeared I would experience it after one set only.

 

I notice that training for levers has improved my problem. And I wonder, why are levers not a prerequisite for pullups? Pullups seem to put so much emphasis on the arms, without building 'core' strength (core meaning not just abs but torso, including scapular strength).

 

Another example is chameleons vs  hand over hand.  I still get some elbow pain with chameleons, but not nearly as much. When most people climb at the beach I observe (I am staying at Santa MOnica, where there is a public exercise area with all kinds of apparatus) they use their legs to hurl themselves upwards like when running, which I believe overloads the elbows.

 

In a lever type position, the weight of the body is distributed more horizontally. So I think once I develop my lever on a bar well and get very strong on chameleons, I can do 'cirque' style of 'hocks climb', in straddle position and this is key: with enough prerequisite scapular strength to have the feet at waist height, or preferably at elbow height. Almost like a lever climb.

 

That way the elbows are not doing so much of the work.

 

Oddly though, I have noticed that with chameleons, my arms are getting a better workout, more isolated then if I kip climbed up the rope without feet, hurling myself up. I don't understand how, my elbows have less pain, but arms get stronger. Something about the biomechanics.

Joshua Naterman

You are trying to get around a problem, instead of fixing the problem.

 

I'm not suggesting that you should drop the lever work, but you might really benefit from Kelly Starrett's new book. I don't type the name of it because I just can't bring myself to say the title out loud (even in text), but it really does have some outstanding elbow self-therapy in there. And by some, I mean quite a bit.

landgabriel

I don't think you understand what I tried to say. Climbing a rope with the legs dangling, using the hip flexors to hurl my way up the rope, was causing too much pressure on my elbows. That IS the problem. So now I train for a strong lever and strengthen my scapulae so that I can straddle climb with my feet at the same level as my hands, form displayed in the rope climb video on Sommer's youtube.

The Wykydtron
landgabriel said:

 

I notice that training for levers has improved my problem. And I wonder, why are levers not a prerequisite for pullups? 

 

 

 

 

Because levers take 100 times longer to master than a pullup. A pullup is a very basic exercise, a front lever is a core gymnastic strength element