This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP and SL Exercises/Equipment substitutes

Started by MMarty, May 14, 2013 · 7 Replies · 313 Views

MMarty

Hi,

 

I can't do HBP/PE9-12 because of lack of equipment. I have no single bar or dip station and I am 190cm tall, so I can't even use tables, chairs or other substitutes for dip station. I have already mastered PE7 and PE8 (only two exercises, where I can use the table, if I bend my legs).

 

I was thinking, that I'll continue with PPP (PE3) and gradually increase the lean (it seems that PPP are important for bottom position of HBP). On top of that, I'll start with ring support and eventually PE13 (ring dips).

 

(btw: I have no problem with the iMs, because I have been doing them for a long time) 

 

 

I've also got similar problem with SL progressions. I have stall bars, but there is not enough space to do PE9 and PE10. Can I do these exercises on rings/pull-up bar?

 

Thanks

Joshua Slocum

You can do windshield wipers on a pullup-bar. Just try to have something supporting your back so you don't build up a swing.

 

With regards to the dips, skipping those is likely to come back to bite you later. Can you find a playground or park or gym with equipment for it? Or can you make a dipping station to attach to your stall bars?

MMarty

Thank you.

 

I just read another topic about Korean Dips, watched the video again and it seems that they don't require as much space as I thought. Maybe I can make it work.

 

 

 

 

I have found one park, which is 15-20min from my home. Is it okay to do FL and sPL progressions home and then walk/run there for the HBP/RC part?

Joshua Slocum
MMarty said:

Thank you.

 

I just read another topic about Korean Dips, watched the video again and it seems that they don't require as much space as I thought. Maybe I can make it work.

 

 

 

 

I have found one park, which is 15-20min from my home. Is it okay to do FL and sPL progressions home and then walk/run there for the HBP/RC part?

 

It should be fine. Just make sure you're still well warmed up when you get to the park.

MMarty

My stall bars (from previous owner of the building) looks like this:

post-3494-0-73042200-1373199810_thumb.jp

As you can see, there is no space for exercises like Windshield Wipers and side levers (if I eventually work up to them),so I had to come up with this substitute - ladder and foam.

post-3494-0-01605100-1373199829_thumb.jppost-3494-0-31806100-1373199846_thumb.jp

It works pretty well, but as you can see in the video, my hands are much closer together than on normal stall bars. Is it a problem or it doesn't matter? I tried hanging leg raises and they feel pretty much same, but I am not sure if it is ideal position for Windshield Wipers.

 

btw: How can I embed video from youtube?

 

EDIT: Thanks kalel

kalel

u got nice replacement for sb.

 

not sure but try this one [media*]yourlink[/media*] without *

Joshua Naterman

IF it doesn't cause shoulder problems, it's fine.

 

If you don't like the closer grip, just tie a wooden dowel to one of the ladder rungs with some chain so that you can keep the length identical on both sides. That way you have something strong to grip, and you aren't stuck with such a narrow grip.

 

OR, you can take steel straps, used to attach Rigid Metal Conduit (RMC) or EMT (Electrical Metal Tubing) to stuff, and use them to attach a wooden dowel to the ladder uprights. Use a drill bit to make holes for lag bolts, and use lag bolts to attach. PPL at the hardware store can help you learn what all that means. To keep the dowel from rotating, once it is attached pull down on it and drill a hole through the strap AND the dowel, and use a reasonably strong screw to go through the hole and attach the dowel and strap to the wooden upright.

 

Either way you will get a better handle than what you currently have. Tying the dowel on with chain is a lot easier.

MMarty

Wooden dowel... why didn't I think of that?!  :facepalm: Thank you