My injury rehab/prehab

Started by menging, May 13, 2013 · 5 Replies · 3,440 Views

menging

Hello.

 

Yesterday I walked 30 km / 19 miles on asphalt. Barefoot. A total of 6 hours and 15 minutes.

 

Today I have some sharp pains here and there in my feet. I'm not afraid since I know what caused it, and I know they will disappear if I just rest my feet. (And the feet will come back stronger too!)

 

The sharpest pains are in the bigtoe extensor tendons, and the abductor tendons of the feet. (Runs along outer edge of footsole.) Just some observations. Aside from this, no pain. (Except the blisters).

 

The question is: Will prolonged, warm footbaths speed up recovery?

 

Another question: Will prolonged, warm baths with the entire calves dipped into help prevent shin splints? I don't have them at the moment, but I'm training my legs to be resilient for running and don't need calf injuries.

 

Thanks.

FredInChina

Were you taken hostage in the Middle East and ran away?

Were you punished?

Did you misplace the car keys?

Did you lose a stoopid bet?

Are you a member of some religious zealots group?

 

No?

 

.......... So you started yesterday morning in perfect physical condition, and are now talking about "your injury rehab/prehab"! Did I understand well?

Why did you do that to yourself??? :facepalm:

 

 

Usually, any "toughening" training works better if it is progressive... apparently, you skipped the 5Km, 8Km, 12Km, 15 and 20 Km progressions in your program.

I am also questioning the logic of walking barefoot to improve your legs resilience to running, but I am far from having a qualified opinion... :)

 

I have no idea about warm bath, but at this moment, if it feels good, go ahead... but not longer than 45 minutes (I would not want you to dip your feet for 36 hours, then complain that your skin is falling off... :wacko: )

Good luck with your recovery :)

menging

Haha, funny post. 

 

I am with you 100% on the progressive training, I use it in all my training. Including running.

 

You know, sometimes you just have to go and do something extreme. I not a person that avoid risks, and stay safe at all time. For me, life is boring that way.

 

Does it help if I say my brother and girlfriend did it too? ;)

 

 

That said, I agree with you. It was stupid. But the tendonitis will eventually subside, and the memories from that trip will last forever. Good tradeoff if you ask me.

 

You said you questioned the logic behind barefoot activity as conditioning? Care to elaborate? I love a good discussion.

 

Thanks for the reply. :)

FredInChina

haha, good to hear you are feeling a bit better, and I hope your brother and GF are too.

Nope, I think sensible barefoot activities are beneficial; I was mostly questioning the logic behind walking as leg conditioning for running.

menging

It's in the progressive spirit; first walking a lot barefoot. (maybe spread the 6 hours over a month..)

 

Then progressing as slowly as a snail in running barefoot.

 

I actually plan to use the 60 second template when starting barefoot running! :)

menging

Update:

 

All signs of tendonitis gone.

 

I have done barefoot running, and taken no extra rest really.

 

I have done sauna, warm baths and triggerpoint massage.

 

Just thought I would share my experience.