This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 start-up questions

Started by Ramana B, May 13, 2013 · 9 Replies · 401 Views

Ramana B

Hi, all.

I have started the F1 progressions since 3 weeks, and being absolutely new to BW training or gymnastics, I have some questions (apologies if these are old, as I have not found them yet):

1. When holding a position, say bent body hold, should I use maximal tension or whatever degree allows me to complete the set (I am at 36 second sets)? In such a position, what do my feet do? I try keeping them pointed, but it doesn't feel quite relevant to the hold. My understanding of gymnastics is that max tension is the norm for building strength. Are there exceptions?

2. During the inclined pushups, the model is on a box. Is that mandatory, and if so, why? I might as well keep the bar lower and do pushups from, is it not?

3. Is there a text base for the progressions? I really hope there is. It would make learning easier for someone like me, rather than merely mimicking the video moves.

4. Is there a 'proper form' video of each master move for which the progressions are prescribed? I am unaware of some of the moves and how the progressions help in the culmination of such moves.

BTW, I am 47 years of age, and have been into strength training with kettlebells for the last 4-5 years.

My goals are to do Handstand pushups, one arm chins, front lever, planche and similar basic moves.

Thanks,

Ram

Joshua Slocum

1. When holding a position, hold just enough to maintain the position. The purpose of these holds is building strength and endurance, not just maximal strength. You can do what you like with your feet; just make sure that you keep them together on exercises where you're supposed to keep them together (for example, FL/PE5 and SL/PE1). 

 

2. The model is on a box so that the support he's using will be at an appropriate height. There's no need to use a box, you just need a support at the right height. 

 

3. I'm not sure what you're asking. What is a text base?

 

4. To my knowledge there is not yet any official video for the culmination of each progression. 

 

Also, in the future you should post F1-specific questions in the Foundation 1 forum  :)

Ramana B

Oh, I didn't even know about that one (subforum). 

I meant written instructions as to how to perform each progression.

Thanks for your post.

Joshua Slocum
Ramana B said:

Oh, I didn't even know about that one (subforum). 

I meant written instructions as to how to perform each progression.

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any written instructions aside from the focus points below each video. 

Daniel Burnham
Ramana B said:

Oh, I didn't even know about that one (subforum). 

I meant written instructions as to how to perform each progression.

Thanks for your post.

Videos tend to work a lot better anyway.  For text coach has to explain all the jargon and then write a ton of information about each exercise that is obvious from the video.  It is also hard to cover every nuance using text and people inevitably miss a particular point of the form.

trw

If you're confused about an exercise you can check the subforums for pointers. The videos are a vital resource to compare yourself against, but every now and then a particular written cue will give you a mini revelation.

Ramana B

I appreciate the advice. However, as a professional (I am a surgeon) and as a customer, I would have preferred to have some written guidance along with the moves, and the actual master moves shown as well. It is not very time efficient to hunt out the subfora for pointers.

I am not very educated about these moves, so this course leaves a lot of knowledge gaps for me: how the progressions build up to the final move, what are the things we do wrong and how to correct them, and similar kinds of teaching.

I hope the F1 team takes this as a constructive suggestion, and nothing but....

FritsMB

The best way to learn how to do a particular move/exercise is to video yourself and compare it with the instruction video. There are more than 80 moves/exercises in F1 alone. They all require activation of different muscle groups and different types/degrees of mobility. Each practitioner is unique where it concerns build, neuromuscular ability and ability to progress with these moves. Proprioception -and developing your capacity for it- is a key learning component. The cues that help each individual to progress are often quite subtle. So a written set of instructions will not help much to provide those (hundreds of subtle) cues. In essence, you will have to discover them yourself (I think it is called a learning process). If you don’t have time to follow discussions on the sub forums, just post your video and ask for pointers, or just ask what you would like to know (e.g. do I need to do every move/exercise with maximum body tension?). Experiment, allow yourself to make mistakes, show them, ask for comments and enjoy how you are progressing. It is a lot of fun.

FredInChina
Ramana B said:

(...) as a professional (I am a surgeon) and as a customer, I would have preferred to have some written guidance (...)

 

hehehe... if it is true that everyone has its own preferred learning methods, gymnastics training at the Foundation level does not require the same degree of precision than surgery...

As FritzB says, you can experiment, have fun, and make mistakes (it is okay!) :)... You might even learn more than the rest of us from this process as these 3 attributes are likely not emphasized in your professional activity :)

 

Enjoy.

Cole Dano

Moderator Note:

 

Please remember to keep F1.., material in the appropriate sub-forum.

 

I have no idea how this thread was in Getting Started for so long. Members, please help us out and report threads in the wrong sub-forum so mods can move them.