This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pacing in bent arm exercises

Started by Cyrille Belfort, May 13, 2013 · 4 Replies · 236 Views

Cyrille Belfort

Hi,

 

From what I see in the videos the correct form is using a constant pace movement.

I was wondering if using a slow/fast pace is acceptable / encouraged / discouraged.

One recuring way of training I see is using negative to introduce exercises that are at a higher level than currently possible to build the necessary prerequisite strength (as in the negative dips in Foundation).

I also see (and know from experience) that using different paces for the same exercise makes it more or less difficult.

 

Let me try to be clearer with a simple example : push-ups.

The "standard" form is hands shoulder width appart, going down with elbows staying close to the trunk and going as low as possible without letting the chest touch the ground (would be counted as rest), and then get back at the initial arm straight position (still keeping the elbow close to the trunk in the upward movement).

 

Now it is possible to do a lot of variation just by tweeking the rythm:

-Constant fast speed

-Constant slow speed

-Slow / fast speed

-Stopping in the middle (friends from gymnastic introduced me to this, 5 sec stop in high position, 5sec stop in middle position, 5sec stop in low position).

-And mix of the above.

 

I heard that a very efficient way (sorry don't remember the exact source) to train was to go slow on excentric move and fast on concentric move.

For push-ups: going down slow, going up fast.

 

I know the foundation series is to build good foundation and this way (alternate fast/slow) of training might not really be "Basic". But as the starting repetition is pretty low the first week I tried to stick to this Slow excentric/ fast concentric pace. Of course, it made the push-ups a little bit more challenging but nothing impossible nor too taxing.

 

  • What is the "right" (for Gymnastic Strength Training™, and especially in the Foundation series context) way to pace the exercises?
  • What are the consequences of training one way over an other? more gain in power, strength, volume...?I would like to avoid volume as much as possible (I
dritar

I think it varies with exercise. Slow eccentric / fast concentric is not necessarily harder or better. For example ground rows, which done slow / slow are a pain, when I get tired at them my concentric starts to get faster in order to get rid of the forearm and bicep burn. I hate ground rows.

 

In general I'd stick to approximating what the athlete in the video does. 

 

I read here somewhere that in general, fast powerful movements develop more strength in the big power muscles, but slower movements develop more strength and endurance in the smaller muscles. 

Joshua Slocum

In the Foundation series, your pacing should be the same as the athlete demonstrates in the video, which generally amounts to constant, moderate speed. 

Keegan Y

Also, your form cues on push-ups are incorrect (or at least incorrectly worded).

The actual form cues written in the course say:

1) Lower the chest completely to the ground each rep

2) Do not allow the body to sag at any time

The only way that you would would be resting with the chest on the ground would be if you were to relax tension in the core and arm/shoulder muscles and let all your weight rest on your chest.

Cyrille Belfort

Thank you for the answers,

 

So it will be constant, moderate speed unless the demonstration obviously deviates from this pattern. Which I suppose would also be higlighted in the movements cues.