This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle-L press to handstand - when and how?

Started by Ravn, May 12, 2013 · 11 Replies · 374 Views

Ravn

I'd like to get the straddle-L press to handstand at some point (what's the proper term btw: Stalder press? Handstand press?)

I'm in no hurry, but would like an idea of how and when to begin working on it. I currently do not have a straddle L-sit, but I assume that this should be easy to get, once I'm in the advanced stages of Manna-work.

Anyway, is this something to work on post-foundation, or should I consider developing it in parallel to the foundation series? From what I have heard, it is more skill than strength-based, so in theory I suppose it could be added to F1-4 without affecting recovery too much?

Or are we so lucky that there's a book in the pipeline on this subject?

Edit: Didn't really know where to post this, so I'm fine with the subject being moved, if needed.

Jon Douglas

Press work has been hinted at in H2. If you really wanTed to train it now Id do it on Handstand days.

This isn't really the place for discussing it though, as its not in F1

thenail001

 

 

 

 

Reverse leg lifts from headstand

 

Reverse leg lifts from back against the wall elbows locked (wall assisted press HS).

 

Work split straddle L holds, low straddle L on parallel bars.

 

Not sure what your current level is.

 

Should get you started in the right direction.

Jon Douglas

Thing is, you don't want to get in the habit of training them with a reliance on the forward lean. That's why I've dropped em from my regular training until I've worked through H1 to get a nice strong bodyline, so that I can fix bad habits all at once and from the ground up.

It's up to you though, that's just my view; same as I've dropped muscle up and lever work in favour of Foundation work.

Ravn

Thanks for the advice; there's no shortage of tutorials, but the above vids would definitely help.

Anyways, since this is such a fundamental skill, I wonder if Coach has got something up his sleeve for future releases? Like with F1, it would take the guesswork out of the equation.

Daniel Burnham

Stalder press is fun!  Below are the steps I used to get it.  Currently I am working on reps but have a hard time connecting them.

 

I recommend getting a good handstand before doing press handstands.  I did it a little backwards and have had to do a lot of refinement.  I would lift up and just roll out because I couldn't find the correct shoulder angle.

 

1. get a good straddle press first.  There are a lot of how-tos on this

2. While working straddle press get a good straddle L.  Really work compression.  I got up to 60 seconds.  Point your toes!

3.Start working the transition between straddle L and the Press.  This is the tricky part.  For this there are there more steps

  • Lower from straddle Press piked hold with feet just off the ground into the straddle L
  • Work lowering and raising for reps.  Only go to the hold with feet off the ground for now

 

4. Work negatives from handstand.  Spotted helps.

5.  Roll into the press like in the videos above (edit forgot this one last time). 

6. Do full presses for reps.  Hold the handstand in the end

7. Do press up and lower back to straddle L.  Doing this with a good handstand hold at the top means you have it!

 

Key points on form:

Straddle will go from wide in sit to narrow in hold and then legs will circle around during the press up.  Try not to planche too much during the press.

Never let arms bend!  :icon_twisted:

 

There are a couple of more drills if you get stuck at any point.

Christian

We went through quite a bit of PE work for the press at the Helsinki seminar that is not in any release so far. My money is on an H2 down the road.

Ravn

Daniel, thanks for the progressions.

 

Seeing that you've got longer experience with both F1 and stalder press, how would the two fit together? Do you consider stalder press to be skill, strength or both - And how does that impact recovery?

 

I am already near the limit of time that I can put into the training (1.5-2 hrs 5 times/week), so any added stuff would have to be short and to the point. On upper body days I can't do much handstand work after F1, because my shoulders are shot from the HBP work.

 

My personal best handstand is a 90s hold, but I'm not practicing very long holds currently due to the H1/F1 progressions.

 

My current routine consist of:

 

Tue, Fri, Sun:

H1

FSP maintenance/development:

   PL -> FL giant sets, 3-5 sets of 4-15s

   BL (German hang, 1/2 lay, full lay) 5x10-15s

F1 upper body

 

Wed, Sat:

H1

F1 lower body

Jumprope

 

+ a bit of running/sprinting on off days.

 

I'm sure some clever programming could go a long way towards getting this skill. The question is just how. Looking back at my own guesswork in the BtGB-days, I can tell that my programs weren't nearly as effective as they could have been.

Ravn

Actually, come to think about it, it would be easy to couple the straddle-L progressions from BtGB with the new mastery templates from F-series. Perhaps that should be the first step; And instead of jumping into handstands, begin to straddle press into them from the floor. Hmm, this sounds doable! 8)

Daniel Burnham

Presses are considered straight arm strength, but I actually include them in a handstand strength subsection of this.  I don't consider them skills in the way skills are thought of here though they are in the Code of Points.  After some experience with them I have come to have the same opinion of coach in that they are an exceptional exercise merging balance and strength.

 

As far as whether it meshes well with F1.. I'd say you can work them as a skill separately but would mainly work the straddle press with H1.  Also it would make sense that by the time you get a manna, straddle L will be easy right?  What Im getting at is work on handstand, get good F strength, and if you want try some presses go ahead.  Eventually things will mesh and you will find progress to come fairly quickly.

Joshua Slocum

I'd say it's worth finishing the shoulder mobility work in H1 and the leg-lift work in F1/F2 before working presses, just because that strength and mobility is exactly what you need for learning a straddle or pike press. If you lack good shoulder extension and pike/pancake compression, you're likely to end up with a press that leans forwards a lot, and that's a tough habit to fix. 

Ravn

Thanks guys, excellent advice.

I'll begin working on the straddle-L on MN, SL and SLS days, while of course keeping an eye on the recovery aspect. Don't think recovery will be a problem though, the statics don't seem to wear me out.

Will probably leave it at that until I advance to more advanced work, and then try to tie the elements together.