This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Interval timer for Foundation workouts

Started by Joshua Naterman, May 11, 2013 · 10 Replies · 416 Views

Joshua Naterman

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/full-screen-interval-timer/?c=3y9pwsydb

 

The above link will take you to a simple timer that should work on smart phones and computers, enabling you to instantly have intervals set up for each workout. At the bottom right, you'll want to change "restart when done" to "on" as the default is off.

 

You'll have 68 seconds for the exercise, which is your PE, and then 68 seconds for the mobility. The alarm goes off for 8 seconds, which gives you time to transition from your PE to your mobility.

 

Obviously you can adjust the interval times if you need to, but I have found this to be a very useful tool when working out in my home gym. I don't have a smart phone, but when I get one someday I'll probably use this for the gym as well.

neil gillies

Hi Josh,

I have tried using interval timers in the past and often found it difficult to precicely manage start/end/transition times.

I have found using a metronome to be the best way of timing sets: for static holds, simply set the metronome to 1 beep per second and count the number of beeps as you perform your set until you reach the required time.

I has also found a metronome useful on dynamic work where a set number of repetitions are required. For example, on sPL PE1 I set the metronome to one beep every 2 seconds and ensure that the ends of the concentric and eccentric portions of the exercise to coincide with the beeps. This ensures correct tempo is maintained as per the instructional videos.

Metronomes are available in music shops or as smartphone apps and are cheap.

Just my tuppence worth, as we say in Scotland. :-)

Cheers,

Neil

Adriano Augusto

Modernist... 

 

casio-f-91w.JPG

 

Old School!

Riku Calderón

I like metronome too. I have an iPhone app

Joshua Naterman

I'm stuck in that ugly transition between wrist watches and digital metronomes :)

 

I guess I like the timer because it reminds me of BUD/S in the sense that you are told to start, and you just do what you need to do until someone says stop or you complete the predetermined exercise. So I do my reps, and then if I'm lucky I get 20s of rest, at the most, for transitioning to the iM. Same goes in the opposite direction, and it keeps me at a specific pace.

 

I wish I could combine the two in just one program, having the metronome along with the buzzer. If anyone wants to make that, I would absolutely use it! :) :) :)

 

I like how this thread is showing that more people than just me are seeing the importance of sticking to a timed workout.

Hercules
Adriano Flo said:

Modernist... 

 

casio-f-91w.JPG

 

Old School!

Me too. In fact, same watch :D

 

Though I have a metronome if I know I can't use a watch (checking my watching in a FL or support is not easy...). Though for F1 I only have to use my watch.

Peekay
Hercules said:

Me too. In fact, same watch :D

I've had three of these watches in my time, i always thought they looked cool  :D

strme

i use boxing timer for iphone..its nice

thanners

Ah! A discussion on timing / timers.  I've definitely found the benefit of a good timer that doesn't make you waste time _during_ a workout trying to set it up.  On my phone, I use Tabata Timer, and a Metronome program.

 

Metronome:

 + You can just start counting once you feel you're properly in position. Also, if you fail the hold early, you know quite accurately how far you got.

 - For certain holds (ABH, I'm looking at you) I do much better when I'm not thinking about each passing second.  The only way I seemed to finally get 36-second holds for ABH was to divide my attention between maintaining form, and thinking about anything other than how long I've been going.  Counting metronome beats tended to make me give up sooner since I'd started associating ~26 seconds with unsurmountable failure.

 

Tabata Timer:

 + Lets you set up three different preset timers, each with their own preparation, work and rest times.  I usually use one timer for the prep element, and one timer for the mobility element (assuming both elements are static holds).  The only thing I'm doing between sets is toggling from one timer to the next, and pressing start. It gives me five seconds to get into position, and then away it goes.

 * I usually just set the rest time to 0, since I'm using the mobility work timer as my 'rest'.

 - I found most of sounds kind of obnoxiously irritating, but you can turn them off.

 

FredInChina
Joshua Naterman said:
(...) I wish I could combine the two in just one program, having the metronome along with the buzzer. (...)

 

UltraTrainer on the iPhone allows you to play your music during intervals.

If you record your metronome beats and play them, you get the best of all possible worlds.

I'll accept donations via my paypal as usual... ;)

corrumpu

On android i use..

Impetus (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fi.ohra.impetus&hl=en)

 

If you buy the pay version you can edit your profile in XML. 

I have several of the intervals for FSP in here but have yet to do them for Foundation. 

 

We could share the file.  It does rest/work intervals, audible tones, visual display of green/red. 

 

Does everything I need.

 

Countdown to "work".