This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Failed sets and mastery?

Started by Erik Rissanen, May 11, 2013 · 5 Replies · 310 Views

Erik Rissanen

I have a couple of questions about what counts as mastery. I am wondering about failed sets. In the "Balance" section, under "Failed sets do not count", it says if a set fails, one should not count that set, but try again until all work sets have been achieved.

 

Is this how things work for week 11 as well? Or is the standard stricter, so to consider one as having mastery, should one be able to complete all sets in a row, with no failures in between?

 

Also, what about rest times? I vaguely recall that someone wrote here in the forums that more rest than just the >im is allowed in the handstand course. (In contrast to Foundation.) Is that correct even for mastery?

Joshua Slocum
For example, let’s say you are working HS/PE1 and are working on your week 11 assignment (5x60s) and fall on the fourth set.  Take a short break and then attempt to repeat the set successfully.  Continue this process of repetition until you either succeed and then begin working on the fifth set or you run out of time for the day’s workout.

 

Seems pretty clear to me.

 

 

With regards to rest, I don't think I've seen any official comments.

Erik Rissanen

Yes, it's clear what it says. I was just surprised that there is no stricter requirement for mastery, so I wanted to ask to make sure there was nothing I was missing. I'll do it like this then for mastery as well. Makes it a bit easier to progress if I would happen to momentarily lose balance in week 11. I guess moving on despite a small slip would be more productive, than fine polishing low level skills. So it makes sense to me. Thanks Hari.

Nic Branson

More rest and not counting failed sets is expected as this is skill training. For mastery the rare bobble for balance happens, reset and start over. It sould not happen every set though. As for rest, it should be minimal for mastery. If you have mastered it then the IM and the shaking out of wrists and arms should be enough.

Erik Rissanen

Thanks Nic, Yes, I've also thought about comparing this to strength training in the Foundation series. There is no option to restart there, but it would not make any sense anyway since if a set fails in Foundadtion, any restart is going to fail as well because of fatigue.

 

Now, everything being clear, I need to master that PE2>im. :angry:

Joshua Naterman

You've got it. Foundation work is primarily strength focused and H1 training is primarily skill focused.

 

There's still a strength element in H1, of course, which anyone can see :) However, that tends to be more in the iM than the PE and SE.

 

The balancing portion is primarily skill and endurance, and taking whatever rest you really need (but not more than you need) to perform good form again is what you take. We're not talking about a massive time block, you know? It's usually never more than 10-15 minutes total, so you aren't going to spend an hour trying to get all your sets.