Coursera Nutrition Class

Started by Joshua Naterman, May 11, 2013 · 17 Replies · 3,908 Views

Joshua Naterman

https://www.coursera.org/course/lifenutr

 

 

Coursera courses are free education at a college level, sometimes higher than undergrad, that allow you to learn from professors at very good universities in the comfort of your own home (and anywhere else you get internet access).

 

This is kicking off this week, just found out and signed up now, and am watching the lectures. This is a really good course to take if you want to get a better idea of what's happening in nutrition right now, and to understand the general picture of nutrition as it relates to both lifestyle and health.

 

Dr. Benardot will be doing some guest lectures about energy balance, which I think will be a great opportunity for everyone to watch.

 

There's another thread about an Exercise Physiology course, which is also kicking off soon! I highly recommend that those of you who are interested hop on board and take the courses :)

Jon Douglas

The only real issue is that there is never-- never-- enough time to study everything that I want to at once >.<

 

Edit;

That said, it's not like there's a penalty for enrolling and not completing, so it's ok to drop a course or just follow the readings/lectures if time gets away from you.

Art Vandelay

This is the best thing ever. Signed up to the nutrition course. Will probably sign up for too many courses that I cant keep up with. Is the material archived so you can still study it after the course has officially finished?

Joshua Naterman
Art Vandelay said:

This is the best thing ever. Signed up to the nutrition course. Will probably sign up for too many courses that I cant keep up with. Is the material archived so you can still study it after the course has officially finished?

I have no idea, this is my first Coursera course! Already watched half the first week's videos.

Hercules
Art Vandelay said:

This is the best thing ever. Signed up to the nutrition course. Will probably sign up for too many courses that I cant keep up with. Is the material archived so you can still study it after the course has officially finished?

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. I'm subscribed to quite a few. Some I'll complete and others I'll just watch the videos in. Old courses are archived and aren't taken down. You can absolutely study after it's finished.

mike100

amazing course joshua thank you very much for the recommendation:)

MrPuppeh

Joshua is the Man !

ZRX38

This is amazing Joshua, thanks! im going to check the economics section

Jon Douglas
Art Vandelay said:

This is the best thing ever. Signed up to the nutrition course. Will probably sign up for too many courses that I cant keep up with. Is the material archived so you can still study it after the course has officially finished?

It generally remains archived, although whether you can access it will depend on whether it's offered in the next study period. Best bet if you want to keep the material is download a copy.

Joshua Naterman

It is always a good idea to keep your course materials for future reference, in my personal opinion. I have every textbook I have ever bought, and all of my class notes.

Vincearoo

Got a late start on the class, finishing up the videos today for week 1.

I was particularly struck by the statistic shown in the lecture that roughly 35% of adults are obese (17% of children are). The study also shows that 35% of adults are overweight, but not obese. HOLY COW.

FredInChina
Vincearoo said:

(...) I was particularly struck by the statistic shown in the lecture that roughly 35% of adults are obese (17% of children are). The study also shows that 35% of adults are overweight, but not obese. HOLY COW.

 

Only in America Vincearoo, only in America...  :)

.............. Which makes me seriously question the wisdom of taking nutrition advice from there... :facepalm:

Daniel Burnham
FredInChina said:

Only in America Vincearoo, only in America... :)

.............. Which makes me seriously question the wisdom of taking nutrition advice from there... :facepalm:

Ha. There are still some of us hold outs who avoid eating the plenty and ignore marketing. Instant gratification and pleasure foods seemed to have ruined us. But maybe not permanently.

FredInChina
Daniel Burnham said:

Ha. There are still some of us hold outs who avoid eating the plenty and ignore marketing. Instant gratification and pleasure foods seemed to have ruined us. But maybe not permanently.

 

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you Daniel - I hold the same views as regards to financial advice... :blink:  :P

Joel Tomkins
FredInChina said:

Only in America Vincearoo, only in America...  :)

.............. Which makes me seriously question the wisdom of taking nutrition advice from there... :facepalm:

But it's not only America! From the Australian Bureau of Statistics:

 

"In 2011-12, 63.4% of Australians aged 18 years and over were overweight or obese, comprised of 35.0% overweight and 28.3% obese. A further 35.2% were of normal weight and 1.5% were underweight.

The prevalence of overweight and obesity has increased in Australia over time, from 61.2% in 2007–08 and 56.3% in 1995."

wheezer

Yup! I'm currently sitting by the beach in Adelaide, Australia. Looking around me and I'm seeing that statistic. In fact most of the healthy weight individuals appear to be International tourists, so % of overweight Australians here would shoot up.

 

I clicked through to the Fundamentals of Human Nutrition course from Coursera and found a 'flexbook' from Kansas University - their HN400. It goes through an incredible amount of detail about the structure of macronutrients, how they assimilate, and how the body uses them:

 

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByOHn1XKLsxbNWM2MGE3M2UtOTc4MC00N2RlLTgxY2UtYjY1NzExYTU3Y2I3/edit?pli=1&hl=en

Jon Douglas
wheezer said:

Yup! I'm currently sitting by the beach in Adelaide, Australia. Looking around me and I'm seeing that statistic. In fact most of the healthy weight individuals appear to be International tourists, so % of overweight Australians here would shoot up.

 

I clicked through to the Fundamentals of Human Nutrition course from Coursera and found a 'flexbook' from Kansas University - their HN400. It goes through an incredible amount of detail about the structure of macronutrients, how they assimilate, and how the body uses them:

 

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByOHn1XKLsxbNWM2MGE3M2UtOTc4MC00N2RlLTgxY2UtYjY1NzExYTU3Y2I3/edit?pli=1&hl=en

In the CITY? Man, you should see the state of things out in the country, it's absolutely shameful.

Joshua Naterman

Those are frightening statistics.