This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

tuck planche template and mobility

Started by Alessandro Mainente, May 10, 2013 · 16 Replies · 326 Views

Alessandro Mainente

since i recognized that without pbars i can't train planche, i decided to maintain straddle planche on pbars and approach the planche on the floor so that equipment cannot be the problem of my training.

what it's clear in my situation is that the 30 s template has a big jump between  18 sec and 24 sec.

i started 2 months ago with floor tuck planche the jump of six second until the week of 18 seconds wasn't a problem (maybe because my basic strength with straddle of pbars helped me).

 

one week ago i did the first approach to the 24 seconds (i don't want to talk about the fact that 30 seconds are an infinite time). but no way to complete just one set (and the 18 sec were completed easily), so i did 4 set of 21 seconds for the past week at that was changelling. 

in the current week i noticed a little increase of strength, i did one set of 25 sec and the other 3 were 22 sec.

 

does make sense  adjust the time of my hold in order to achieve with 2-3 more week of work the goal of the template? this because the jump of 6 seconds is too much from a week to another.

consider 2 factors:

-my legs are not small

-and i can't bent one of my legs more than 100-110° (due to surgery), so the position is not a real tuck, cause in order to avoid asymmetrich work i'm adapting my good leg position (that i can bend much more) to the bad leg.

 

the second thing is concerned with mobility. i hate it because at every new IM i reach a new level of cramps...seems impossible for now use the IM as a active rest. bent arm planche is not difficult to hold but of course it takes some energy out of me.

is possible use the necessary time to recover? the necessary to avoid low quality work in the next set.

FritsMB
alex87 said:

does make sense adjust the time of my hold in order to achieve with 2-3 more week of work the goal of the template? this because the jump of 6 seconds is too much from a week to another.

consider 2 factors:

-my legs are not small

-and i can't bent one of my legs more than 100-110° (due to surgery), so the position is not a real tuck, cause in order to avoid asymmetrich work i'm adapting my good leg position (that i can bend much more) to the bad leg.

the second thing is concerned with mobility. i hate it because at every new IM i reach a new level of cramps...seems impossible for now use the IM as a active rest. bent arm planche is not difficult to hold but of course it takes some energy out of me.

is possible use the necessary time to recover? the necessary to avoid low quality work in the next set.

Let me try to answer your question by giving you the broader picture I have found to give me the perspective that I need.

The F1/F2/H1 courses (that I now have) have given me a clear template for each of the 200+ exercises that are covered (e.g. mastering an exercise may take as long as 12 weeks, but, depending on your ability, you can start at W1, W5 or W9; do the exercise in this manner, so many times/seconds; progress in this manner; for mastery do 10, 15, 30 or 60 reps; etc.). There is very little doubt about what good form and mastery entails (video plus a lot of discussions about form and mastery here on the Forum).

Not surprisingly, like most forum members, I have found that my current GST ability does not evenly match the starting level or suggested steps for progression of the 200+ exercises that I need to master for F1/F2/H1. So, after 9 weeks I already know that, for each exercise I will have to find the appropriate starting point -given my current ability- and how I can proceed (large steps, small steps; mini cycles etc.; more rest between PE and iM etc.). Like you, given my individual ability, I can not always conform with the suggested pattern of progress. Does that bother me? Not at all. If I can do only 2 reps to start, so be it. If after 3 weeks I can only add 1 good rep, that is it. So far I have mastered about 40 of the 120+ F1/H1 exercises. At the same time, there are iM exercises that will take me a year (not longer, I hope) to master. Like you, I sometimes feel somewhat frustrated about my lack of mobility, and, in my case, oftentimes my lack of strength. It is all relative. Life after F1/F2/H1 (in more than just GST terms) is a lot better than life before F1/F2/H1.

B)

B1214N

How come you can't train the planche on floor as good as on PB? Is it because of wrist problems or balance?

Mats Trane
alex87 said:
, said:
 

what it's clear in my situation is that the 30 s template has a big jump between  18 sec and 24 sec.

 

 

 

I also have problems with this "jump" in my PL work. Dont know if it is psychological issue or just my bad patience :( .

With some patience and cutting down on the times (like you did) we might just doit :) ??

Out of curiosity. Has anyone completed this template and can give us som tips?

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

sure mats that if i insert 1-2 weeks in between the "big jump" with an intermediate hold is the best way. i used it also in front lever between 4 seconds and 6 seconds. using a five seconds hold, hte volume is of course more then the previous week and that is the idea..

sometime when an exercise has a big jump i simply used what Joshua said, so adding 1 rep every 2-3 weeks. try it and let me know how it works!

 

B1214n: different motivations , wrist problem at the beginning and forearms. but after the H1 preparatory exercises of the wrists thery are more flexible and problems are disappeared!

Joshua Slocum

If you're struggling to bridge the gap, I see no issue with taking an extra mini-cycle to incrementally work your way up. Just be sure to deload on the 4th week. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

If you're struggling to bridge the gap, I see no issue with taking an extra mini-cycle to incrementally work your way up. Just be sure to deload on the 4th week. 

This has been my approach with a couple of hold elements I needed more work on. Progress is progress, even if it's in subtler ways than a full six second block on the timer.

I have yet to complete sPl SE2>IM before I can get my knees off my elbows though...

Mats Trane

I would love to see a video of someone doing the mastery (5x30) of the tuck PL or the advanced Tuck Pl for that matter. Beastly!

Alessandro Mainente

give me 4-5 more weeks and i'll do it!!! adv tuck pl is another planet on the floor for me...

Mats Trane
alex87 said:

give me 4-5 more weeks and i'll do it!!! adv tuck pl is another planet on the floor for me...

Cool, with the mobility moves as "rest time"?

Daniel Burnham
Mats Trane said:

I would love to see a video of someone doing the mastery (5x30) of the tuck PL or the advanced Tuck Pl for that matter. Beastly!

You want to see all 5 sets? I just tested 30 sec again and I still am able to do one set fine. What I did to get through is basically the mini cycle as hari said. I ended up doing maximal time with good form until I hit 30 seconds.

Mats Trane

Yes all 5 sets of sPL/S3 with sPL/S3>iM in between. Would be awsome to see. All in one go.

Daniel Burnham

That is pain I am not keen on reliving. I'll try and film after my rest weekend.

Joshua Naterman

hahaha! Burn, baby, burn!!!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Alessandro Mainente

i can't imagine 5x30s of adv tuck...

Joshua Naterman

For everyone who is wondering, yes 6 second jumps are too big for one week.

 

You should really be looking at each jump as a new benchmark.

 

Adding just 1-2 seconds per week is probably the best way to go. I do this with pretty much everything and it makes the mastery process much less frustrating.

 

 

We all have to try to remember that just because this appears to take longer does not mean you are not getting strong. You are actually building up a larger reserve of athletic ability than you realize, and this is the key to doing well on the next progression.

 

It is ok to spend 6 months on some progressions. It will not happen to all of them, but on some that is just the way life is going to be. What you will find is that spending that time on the longer progressions pays off quite a lot later on.

Mats Trane
Daniel Burnham said:

That is pain I am not keen on reliving. I'll try and film after my rest weekend.

YEAH!