Sorry if this in another thread - but I couldn't find it.
Might the 5 rep mastery schedule be used for other types of strength exercises? I'm thinking specifically of dead lifts.
Any thoughts?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by cheeto-man, May 10, 2013 · 5 Replies · 207 Views
Sorry if this in another thread - but I couldn't find it.
Might the 5 rep mastery schedule be used for other types of strength exercises? I'm thinking specifically of dead lifts.
Any thoughts?
Aside from meaning 3 months with the same weight on the bar? Doesn't seem like the most time-efficient approach for lifting to me, but I could easily be wrong.
I have tried using the 15 rep template with my patients. It has worked really well with a patient who had tennis elbow. I used a mini cycle starting at week 9. I had her doing eccentric wrist extension with one kg. once she could achieve the 5x15 pain free we put the weight up 0.5-1kg. It worked well with this injury as tendinpoathies can take 4-6 months to improve. She was better after two months. She actually enjoyed the process of waiting until she could do the the exercise pain free. I also think having a template to follow helped her to know exactly what to do and where we heading with her rehab.
I would expect this would work for other strengthening exercises that use barbells and dumbells.
whoa, thats coolMark Collins said:I have tried using the 15 rep template with my patients. It has worked really well with a patient who had tennis elbow. I used a mini cycle starting at week 9. I had her doing eccentric wrist extension with one kg. once she could achieve the 5x15 pain free we put the weight up 0.5-1kg. It worked well with this injury as tendinpoathies can take 4-6 months to improve. She was better after two months. She actually enjoyed the process of waiting until she could do the the exercise pain free. I also think having a template to follow helped her to know exactly what to do and where we heading with her rehab.
I would expect this would work for other strengthening exercises that use barbells and dumbells.
This is how I have always self-treated.
For strength training, it's much the same. This is the oldest training style on earth, I think. Pick weight you can use with perfect form for a few reps, maybe 50% of your eventual target rep range. Only perform perfect reps. When you reach your target reps and sets, you add a few pounds and repeat. You make many small increases, not a few large increases, when possible. Continue until your strength has blown your mind, then maintain. Or keep building. Your choice ![]()
Mark Collins said:(...) having a template to follow helped her to know exactly what to do and where we heading with her rehab. (...)
Very good point. ![]()