This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

mma training and foundation

Started by mike100, May 10, 2013 · 11 Replies · 320 Views

mike100

Can mma/bjj training be incorporated with foundation or would that be too much?

 

thanks in advance for your answers:)

Bissen

I believe that depends greatly on your recovery abilities :)

Gray

I belive yes, but you must talk with your mma/bjj coach and tell him that you're also training gymnastic and your main focus will be skill/technical training during those. A hard cardio sessions during each training will result in increased fatiuge in the body and there'll be a overtraining possibility. Train smart! And find good sparring partnners, who know that technical training is most important :)

Keilani Gutierrez

agreed. I was doing the 5day F1/ 4day H1 routine for a while and was getting a little burnt out(due to getting more in-touch with my nutrition but also my work capacity at the moment)

 

so I moved it to 4day H1 + 4day F1. leave wednesday as a rest/Tai Chi day and the rest of the time to work on forms (since all my strength,flexibility,mobility is being developed in F1+H1.)

RatioFitness

I do BJJ and I only do the foundation training 2 days per week. I do everything in one session. 

Joshua Naterman

If you choose to do the Foundation training it will be good for you, but bad for your opponents.

 

You will definitely want to make sure that you discuss what you want to do with your strength training, not in context of does he like it, but in context of "I am going o be following this program for the majority of my strength, and here's how the training volume looks. I want to make sure that conditioning work we do outside of this is mostly jumping rope, sprint intervals, pool intervals, etc., and that we spend our sessions focused pretty much exclusively on my actual fighting skill development"

 

Now, if you're a part of a class then you'll just have to put up with people not liking the fact that you sit out of the push ups and sit ups, etc etc. They usually do a ton of these because they know (aka assume, often correctly) that people don't do jack outside of class. Since you will be training hard outside of class, make sure your instructors know that. You may want to do some of the stuff, but be smart about controlling the volume if you choose to do so.

 

One thing you should definitely still do is the guard position sit ups on either a telephone pole, tree, or a partner. If you don't do these at your gym, then you don't need to worry about this.

RatioFitness

I'm glad my instructor just has us drill technique and roll. Doesn't infer as much with my training outside the gym. I pay him to teach me BJJ, not make me do pushups. 

Jon Douglas
RatioFitness said:

I'm glad my instructor just has us drill technique and roll. Doesn't infer as much with my training outside the gym. I pay him to teach me BJJ, not make me do pushups. 

Yes. Anywhere I train, if half the class time is basic conditioning, that's my last (public) class there; I have literally fallen asleep once before.

 

I know some people go to martial arts classes to get in shape, but my lord this is a pet hate of mine, it's a waste of time for people who want to use that time training >.<

Gray

Same here, most classes in MA schools in Poland are centered on the cardio training. I mean - HEAVY CARDIO training. 90 minutes classes - 15 minutes cardio for the warm up, 40 minutes for the techniqes and then for about 35 minutes some tabata/crossfit/cardio/strength/stretching unborn son from hell.

Riku Calderón

Hi there.

I do this and im stronger than ever in sparring. Still beginner in GST but my midsection is giving me great stability just after short time.

I do F7 x 3 and H1 x 3. Allways in the mornings. And i do 4-6 times tecnique and sparring in the evening. I allso do some MMA shadow boxing HIITs after H1.

I have had extra weeks at half work and no HIITs when I haw competition in the weekend. And I allways stars one week from where i was.

mike100

Thanks for your answers everyone , you really helped.Good thing is bjj class in my gym is mostly technique geared and there is a little conditioning involved if any.Mma class though is full of conditioning(HARD VOLUME) so i'll probably need to skip on that part.

Riku Calderón

Yes. Skip those. I have it easy cause im on the competition group We all have our spesific cardio and strenght programs and we do only tecnique and sparrong.