New to the community.

Started by GageClawson, May 10, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,050 Views

GageClawson

Hi everyone, I couldn't find any particular topic or forum for new members to introduce ourselves, so I assume it goes here (if not, apologies).

 

I've been following this website for over a year now, and thought it was about time I became a part of the community. I've been doing Gymnastic training in my free time for around a year, and the benefits have been simply incredible. I have no skills to my name as of yet, partially due to poor routine and exercise programming, and the other reason being that I am first and foremost a Martial Artist, and I put a considerable amount of time into that style of training.

 

With that said, the benefits of training like a Gymnast are incredible. My joints are stronger, and more flexible. An incredible increase in transferable strength, greater conditioning, and greater movement capacity in general. My sparring partners find it requires more effort to apply shoulder locks, simply due to my already increased shoulder flexibility and strength.

 

I currently only own BTGB, but I plan on purchasing the Foundation and Handstand series. Then my real training will begin!

 

Anyone else here cross-train gymnastics into their particular sport/art? How has it helped you?

Joshua Naterman

I didn't start GST until I was 27, but I noticed right away that people who had similar strength in the weight room, but did not follow the GB protocols, just could not figure out why I could manhandle them physically on the mat...

 

I can't say much else, other than that since starting the F1 and H1 programs my body has continued to feel younger and younger, which is a nice change from feeling older and older.

Craig

I'm also a martial artists first, using foundations to supplement!  Like you I've noticed incredible gains, both the obvious external gains but also some nice stuff happening on the inside.  More awareness of the body allows me deeper relaxation and greater circulation, the extra strength really supports the structure quite nicely! I'm also a MovNat instructor, the benefits there are obvious! :)

 

I think there are quite a few other martial artists here, so you're definitely not alone in noticing how compatible they are!  

Jon Douglas
Craig said:

I'm also a martial artists first, using foundations to supplement!  Like you I've noticed incredible gains, both the obvious external gains but also some nice stuff happening on the inside.  More awareness of the body allows me deeper relaxation and greater circulation, the extra strength really supports the structure quite nicely! I'm also a MovNat instructor, the benefits there are obvious! :)

 

I think there are quite a few other martial artists here, so you're definitely not alone in noticing how compatible they are!  

Took the words out of my mouth.

Welcome aboard Gage!

GageClawson

Good to hear from some other martial artists! What styles do you all practice?

 

I'm looking forward to acquiring the foundation and handstand series. I'm terrible at putting routines together on my own, and find myself jumping from routine to routine on a regular basis, it'll be good to have some direction.

 

Also Joshua, I have been subscribed to your Youtube channel for a while now, and your videos have helped me out a lot in the past so thank you for that.