Getting over the rings

Started by Bipocni, May 9, 2013 · 14 Replies · 4,469 Views

Bipocni

I'm wondering what the easiest way is to get above the rings.  I've been training for the muscle up for a bit now, but I'm wondering if a felge would be easier.  There's also the inverted pike kip to support, but I'm thinking that might actually be quite a bit harder than a muscle up.

 

I also considered elevators, but then I remembered I'm not superman. :D

 

So what's the easiest way to get above the rings?

seiyafan
Bipocni said:

 

So what's the easiest way to get above the rings?

I use a stool.  :D

Flameous

If you can do a pullover on a bar, it's possible work it to rings. It's much more technical and does seem to require more strength but I think it's easier than MU. Or well at least it doesn't require transition specific strength.

 

Muscle up is easiest in the sense that it's pretty much all strength. Others have more technical aspects.

B1214N

The back felge is harder than a MU.

Joshua Slocum

A muscle-up is by far the easiest way to get on top of the rings using strength. 

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

I also considered elevators, but then I remembered I'm not superman. :D

If you were, you'd be OFF! ON ANOTHER MISSION TO SAVE THE WORLD! and you wouldn't be able to train today ^_^

Bipocni
Flameous said:

If you can do a pullover on a bar, it's possible work it to rings. It's much more technical and does seem to require more strength but I think it's easier than MU. Or well at least it doesn't require transition specific strength.

 

Muscle up is easiest in the sense that it's pretty much all strength. Others have more technical aspects.

With a bar pullover, can't you just rest on the bar?  Wouldn't it be like, several times more difficult on rings?

Joshua Slocum
Bipocni said:

With a bar pullover, can't you just rest on the bar?  Wouldn't it be like, several times more difficult on rings?

Yes. A rings 'pullover' is essentially a felge backwards. 

Blairbob

Yes, a Muscle-Up is the easiest way to get into support. Easier than a bent arm kip or backward felge to support.

 

Actually, a front or back uprise is easier to get to support. Carl Paoli's falsegripless kipping MU is essentially a front uprise.

Joshua Naterman
Hari_Seldon said:

A muscle-up is by far the easiest way to get on top of the rings using strength. 

I dunno... I'll do muscle ups over climbing the old ladder any day of the week, but I'm not sure they're easier :lol:

FredInChina
seiyafan said:

I use a stool.  :D

 

Best answer! You win the thread... :D

Vagabond

Not everybody will agree, but if you're proficient at all of these, the kip to front support from inverted pike if the least tiring one. Every time I'd do a set on the rings, I'd just kip straight to handstand, and it felt way less tiring than anything else. If you have good kipping technique, of course.

Bipocni

Would you recommend this for some plastic rings slung over a thin tree branch?

Daniel Burnham

I agree kips are easier but I find it easier and much safer to teach people if they already have the strength for a muscle up. I do know one guy who has a felge and a kip but no a muscle up. That is rare though.

I don't like the idea of kips on exercise rings, because generally you fall a good amount of times before you get it and most gyms don't have mats under them. Especially if that gym is under a tree outside.

 

The best thing for you to do is revisit the muscle up strength and get that.  Honestly there is not much reason to get onto the rings if you lack that prerequisite strength.  Maybe support holds and dips but you can just put a chair or box under them for those.

Bipocni

I don't really have access to pullup bars, parallel bars ect... Rings are all I've got...