This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pull ups improved

Started by Mark Collins, May 9, 2013 · 10 Replies · 420 Views

Mark Collins

Tonight I did a Crossfit metcon that had pull ups and they actually felt like a rest. The interesting thing is that I am only up to doing body rows and I haven't done many pull ups lately. I actually thought I would find the pull ups hard tonight. This was workout was also after doing H1, the foundation exercises with 4x10 body rows and some Olympic lifting.

I can't wait until I am at a higher level with the foundation exercises. How easy will pull ups be then! And that is only an advanced beginner.

Nic Branson

GB > Crossfit...ok maybe I'm biased here.

:)

Mark Collins
Nic Branson said:

GB > Crossfit...ok maybe I'm biased here. :)

I tend to agree.

GB has huge potential to improve Crossfit performance. The one thing Crossfit has done is that it has over a hundred thousand adults interested in doing some form of gymnastic strengthening. I am don"t think has ever happened in the history of fitness and exercise. I can't imagine women in the 1930's wanting to do pull ups, muscle ups, pistols and HeSPU.

Crossfit is what lead me to GB. I was in search of how to do muscle ups and now I want to do levers and planches!

I hope in the future Crossfitters will discover GB and see how amazing it is.

Nic Branson

I'm trying to fix a couple crossfitters here still, bad form is so ingrained. Numbers at the cost of injury. Hopefully we can help improve that over time.

Keilani Gutierrez

I remember before I couldn't do more than 5 good pullups and zero hollow body pullups after watching Joshua doing them in one of his youtube videos. I was outside in the rings playing around doing some german hangs and the part where you pull out the hole was a lot easier for me this time. that was a surprise! so pressing strength has improved, how about pulling? 3 hollow pullups with form. I was psyched xD

mind you, i didnt workout yesterday, so after all the work you did, Mark, I would have been fried hahahahah

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

GB > Crossfit...ok maybe I'm biased here.

:)

At least you're biased in the correct direction  :P

Mark Collins
Nic Branson said:

I'm trying to fix a couple crossfitters here still, bad form is so ingrained. Numbers at the cost of injury. Hopefully we can help improve that over time.

I think that the standards for Crossfit will improve as time goes on. As it is a young sport there is little research on the extent of injuries. There has been some changes to box jumps after people kept rupturing their achilles. As people get more injuries the coaches will have to be strict otherwise they will lose their clients and their business. Good for us Physio's though :)

FredInChina
Mark Collins said:

I think that the standards for Crossfit will improve as time goes on (...)

 

Let's hope you are correct, but I have serious doubts and reservations...

This sort of popular activity usually starts at its highest level and only degrades with time.

In fact what you are saying is a little bit like "First get the reps, then form will improve!" which sounds contrary to what BtGB professes. :)

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha!

 

Well, I am in Nic's corner on this  100% :)

 

When you start getting into F3 and F4, believe me... Crossfit WODs will feel like a joke, and people will seriously think you are making fun of them when you tell them that you don't actually practice most of the stuff... it's all just carryover from a well-rounded gymnastic strength program.

 

I hope that, over time, CF does improve quality controls, but I also agree that when something is a money game, dollars tend to remain the priority.

 

It takes much more than a weekend to train good coaches. When THAT starts to change, you'll see the quality of the facilities start to improve, and not before. That is my Nostradamus moment for today :) It's on parchment and everything. Maybe.

Mark Collins
FredInChina said:

Let's hope you are correct, but I have serious doubts and reservations...

This sort of popular activity usually starts at its highest level and only degrades with time.

In fact what you are saying is a little bit like "First get the reps, then form will improve!" which sounds contrary to what BtGB professes. :)

Ideally I think it is always best to get technique first and good coaching. However most people start with terrible form in any exercise they begin with and they won't listen to good advice until they get hurt or frustrated at their lack of progress. I am sure this is why most of us ended up finding Coach Sommer's program. So I think we end up dealing with "getting the reps, then improving the form". Not ideal, but better than not at all.

Mark Collins
Joshua Naterman said:
Hahaha!

 

When you start getting into F3 and F4, believe me... Crossfit WODs will feel like a joke, and people will seriously think you are making fun of them when you tell them that you don't actually practice most of the stuff... it's all just carryover from a well-rounded gymnastic strength program.

 

Now that will be awesome.

And yes a two day course is bit of a joke. There is no way you can learn all of the standards in that time.