This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

If I get DOMS from F1 is it overtraining?

Started by MrPuppeh, May 8, 2013 · 8 Replies · 301 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

Do you guys get muscle soreness the next day after F1 ?

 

the integration with HS work ( F1 + H1) is making it complex for me to do the F1 3x a week. Im doing it 2x a week ( thats 2x H1 and 2x F1 a week and still get sore)  But the recommended times per week were 3x for F1.

 

Then as a side question - How can a gymnast train for 4 hours a day 6 days a week ? Is it Hulk recovery? 

I mean if I tried training 4hrs a day for 6 days a week - I would die at the end of the first week, lol.

 

I think I still have not found my ideal training schedule.

 

 

 

 

Joshua Slocum

DOMS is to be expected, especially if you've recently started F1 or recently moved to new movements.

 

Are you doing all seven F1 elements on those two F1 days, or are you doing some one day and some the next?

 

Elite Gymnasts can train for really long periods of time because:

- they've been training for 10+ years, and have gradually built up their work capacity

- the majority of their work is not pure strength work. The sorts of highly-technical skill work you see in the olympics takes a lot of practice to learn.

- only those with naturally high recovery abilities will be able to reach elite levels.

MrPuppeh
Hari_Seldon said:

DOMS is to be expected, especially if you've recently started F1 or recently moved to new movements.

 

Are you doing all seven F1 elements on those two F1 days, or are you doing some one day and some the next?

 

Elite Gymnasts can train for really long periods of time because:

- they've been training for 10+ years, and have gradually built up their work capacity

- the majority of their work is not pure strength work. The sorts of highly-technical skill work you see in the olympics takes a lot of practice to learn.

- only those with naturally high recovery abilities will be able to reach elite levels.

Im doing FL/PE1 and SL/PE1 on HS1 days. But on F1 im doing all the other F1 stuff and in addition im doing  a bar hang and a P-bar support for my basic grip and straight arm  support strength. 

 

Should I do all of the F1 exercises on one day ?

Jon Douglas

I do, but a split is good too. Shorter as well

Joshua Slocum
MrPuppeh said:

Im doing FL/PE1 and SL/PE1 on HS1 days. But on F1 im doing all the other F1 stuff and in addition im doing  a bar hang and a P-bar support for my basic grip and straight arm  support strength. 

 

Should I do all of the F1 exercises on one day ?

Doing FL and SL on handstand days is a bit non-standard, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be ok. Hitting every element twice a week should be enough; I was concerned that you were performing each element only once a week, which would be too little. 

MrPuppeh
Hari_Seldon said:

Doing FL and SL on handstand days is a bit non-standard, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be ok. Hitting every element twice a week should be enough; I was concerned that you were performing each element only once a week, which would be too little. 

If I keep my training like this then in time will I be able to add more workout days ?  ( Assuming that i am advancing through weeks and progressions)

 

By this question I mean - Can I increase my body's recovery ability (capacity) or the 2x F1 and 2x H1 a week is and will be my limit ?

Joshua Slocum
MrPuppeh said:

If I keep my training like this then in time will I be able to add more workout days ? ( Assuming that i am advancing through weeks and progressions)

By this question I mean - Can I increase my body's recovery ability (capacity) or the 2x F1 and 2x H1 a week is and will be my limit ?

Most likely your recovery abilities will increase over time. But it takes a while. You'll know you're ready to add another day of training when you find that you consistently feel refreshed and have leftover energy throughout the week. At that point if you want to experiment with another day of training, wait until you're at the beginning of a new cycle, and try that cycle with an extra training day to see if you benefit from the extra day.

chobbs

For what it is worth - my youngest son (~8 yrs) is on a gymnastic team and has gone from training once per week for an hour during his first year, to two times per week for an hour his second year, then two times per week for 2 hours in his third year, and now three times per week for 2 hours (about  6 months into his fourth year). Even with this slow progression, that will continue to increase as he moves up the levels, there is a period of time after each transition where the practice kicks his butt.

 

You can look at the elite gymnasts and marvel at their work capacity, strength, etc. but realize it was all built over the course of years and years. Watching my youngest has really made me appreciate that aspect.

 

- Chris

FredInChina
chobbs said:

For what it is worth - my youngest son (~8 yrs) is on a gymnastic team and has gone from training once per week for an hour during his first year, to two times per week for an hour his second year, then two times per week for 2 hours in his third year, and now three times per week for 2 hours (about  6 months into his fourth year). Even with this slow progression, that will continue to increase as he moves up the levels, there is a period of time after each transition where the practice kicks his butt.

 

You can look at the elite gymnasts and marvel at their work capacity, strength, etc. but realize it was all built over the course of years and years. Watching my youngest has really made me appreciate that aspect.

 

- Chris

 

Great post Chris Chobbs :)

Thank you