My attempt at a young

Started by Edward Smith, January 23, 2009 · 2 Replies · 1,956 Views

Edward Smith

DVquoZqnoBs

This an attempt of mine at youngs a while back. Before I got the book I was very confused as to the performance of youngs, but the book cleared it up. I don't have the DVD's so I was hoping anyone who did could rate it/give me some feedback. Mainly, is my movement from straddle L through to push up position correct? I'm sure my young is nowhere near as good as that shown on the DVD.

Ed

Edit: thank you George for the 'how to' on Embedding videos :)

Coach Sommer

Ed,

Good beginning with the Youngs. Some points to work on:

1) Your hips drop as your legs are nearly together in the rear. This relieves the pressure on the lower back and hips right at the moment when we want it to be the strongest. Two solution for this are to start with the hips lower intially so that a constant height is able to be maintained or to only bring the legs as close together as possible without allowing the hips to drop.

2) You only completed half of the movement! After the closure in the rear, a full repetition should return back to the straddle L. This greatly intensifies the hip/low back strength required of the exercise.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edward Smith

Thanks Coach,

That's exactly what I wanted to hear about any of the finer points I was missing.

Cheers,

Ed