Should I change my routine

Started by homegymnast, May 8, 2013 · 7 Replies · 2,521 Views

homegymnast

Hey guys I'm coming off of a rest week and I'm thinking of changing my routine up

Here is my current routine

Sun: handstand strength

Mon: pullup/muscle up strength

Tues: planche

Wed: front lever

Thurs: handstand

Fri: pullup/muscle up

So for example on Sunday I focus on handstand push-up strength and balance Monday I work on muscle up strength and one arm pullup strength and I do those twice a week but I only focus on planche and fl once a week which is why I think I'm making great progress in hspu's and mu's but lacking in the pl and fl so I'm thinking of working pl and fl twice a week and mu's and hspu's once a week but I wanna know what you guys think

Jon Douglas

Ok, what does a typical one of these sessions look like for you?

homegymnast

What do you mean by that?

Jon Douglas

I mean... what do you do in a typical session. Say for muscle ups, what do you work on? Pullups, dips? False grip rows? Weighted MU for reps? Is a handstand day wall holds, presses, wall runs, XR HS? Is your planche day ring straight arm work and planche presses, or is it a few sets of frog stand?

 

What sort of level are you at and what are you going for on these days? Can you handle training more often? If you honestly can, then generally it's beneficial to practise a skill more often. If recovery from your conditioning cuts into skill training, then you need to either work less taxing more often, more taxing less often, or a combination of both (say a light and a heavy day in a week).

homegymnast

On handstand days I do 8 sets of 4-3 freestanding handstand push-ups then I practice handbalancing for about and hour

On mu days I do 8 sets of 3 muscle ups then I do 3 sets of slow one arm negatives then I do some dragon flag training

On pl days I do 4-5 sets of adv tuck holds for 12-14 seconds recently and maybe some straight arm hs presses the I practice some handbalancing

On fl days I do 4-5 sets of adv tuck holds for 8 seconds and then I do some pullup stuff for fun and some abs

vinni20

I've noticed you have posted a couple different topics this week. I would just buy F1 and start from there. It will get you much further in your training and you will not have any weak areas. Just my two cents.

Jon Douglas
vinni20 said:

I've noticed you have posted a couple different topics this week. I would just buy F1 and start from there. It will get you much further in your training and you will not have any weak areas. Just my two cents.

That's the ideal; F series is awesome. In the meantime though, here are some ideas that you may or may not find useful;

 

1. Quality over quantity, THEN quantity. MU's are a big one for this. If you have momentum and a big pike, clean that up asap with whatever it takes; sets of singles, negatives, etc. Plenty of this around the forum. If you haven't worked your way through the vertical pulling (don't tell me negative chins, I mean easy wide grip behind and wide grip l pullups) and dips (particularly Russian L and perfect RTO ring dips) in BtGB you might consider working them as at least supplementary on these days.

 

2. Don't care about other static holds-- BL, LSit, StraddleL/Middle split hold?

 

3. The static holds you're doing now shouldn't be too taxing, as long as what you've written there isn't your time to failure. No reason you can't do these more like 3-5 days a week as a warmup, for example. A lot of us did this while the WoDs were running. It does take a bit of care to balance volume with recovery with these; more is only better if it's 'more better' work. Alternatively, you might have a look at the embedded static programming in BtGB and make that a focus on specific FL/PL days.

 

 

4. Don't care about rowing or curls, pushups or dips?

 

There's not a lot wrong with your approach and nothing wrong with narrow goals per se (although the session seems pretty light if you want to progress on 2x or less a week). I'd have a look to see if you can double up a couple of those exercises and do them 2-3 times a week each, maybe remove PL and FL and do them more regularly as mentioned above. Monitor your progress and recovery and adjust as appropriate.

 

For bigger changes you might give some thought to pairing opposing push/pull exercises; Killroy template does well for this. Pair curls/dips, hspu/pullups, pushups/rows. Or turn one MU day into a ring series days to get some very different (potent) stimulation.

 

 

All this said assuming you are smart about your training and recovery, apply 1:1 with common sense and knowledge of your own body.