Straps Starting to fray

Started by Robmob, May 8, 2013 · 9 Replies · 4,524 Views

Robmob

Is it normal for the straps of the xtreme rings to experience fraying? Im aware of the fact that too much fraying will cut the strap,but is it even normal for it to happen? I noticed that its happening on different spots of the strap .

Please excuse the quality of the photos 

post-3535-0-64115100-1367973523_thumb.jp

post-3535-0-31019400-1367973624_thumb.jp

post-3535-0-92061700-1367973734_thumb.jp

Fit-Bull90

That does not look normal to me... where do you use your rings? Outdoor, indoor? Is it on a tree branch perhaps? If it is the friction may have caused this. I use mine on a wooden beam, but throw a towel over it first. 

Richard Hamilton

This is occurs on most tape/webbing when there's been heavy/regular use and without any protection at the anchor point. You may want to try what Fit-Bull suggested or you could get a couple of short dyneema (harder wearing) slings and have the ring straps clipped to them with a carabiner.

It may be that the repeated friction from the adjustment buckle had caused it, in which case you could move the buckle further from the area of wear though that's down to your own judgement. It doesn't look terrible to me and I'd continue using it. If there are any actual breaks/cuts at the edge of the straps I'd condemn them and replace.

You need to check your equipment regularly... you'll get more life out of it that way. It also means your checking your setup is safe on a regular basis :)

Robmob
Fit-Bull90 said:

That does not look normal to me... where do you use your rings? Outdoor, indoor? Is it on a tree branch perhaps? If it is the friction may have caused this. I use mine on a wooden beam, but throw a towel over it first. 

I use it on a piece of Aluminium (constructed for a pullup bar) where the bar is mounted on. It has a very rough texture (Bar) which may explain this. I should put up a towel as you say.

 

 

 

Richard Hamilton said:

This is occurs on most tape/webbing when there's been heavy/regular use and without any protection at the anchor point. You may want to try what Fit-Bull suggested or you could get a couple of short dyneema (harder wearing) slings and have the ring straps clipped to them with a carabiner.

 

That sounds like a good idea. However I live on the Canary islands, making dyneema probably hard to find. 

 

Ill have to adjust this the next time I use them,and a towel just to be safe!

Ravn

Visit a climbing shop, they'll definitely have dyneema and carabiners. However, the surface that did this to your nylon straps, will also affect dyneema, which is harder wearing but not 100% bulletproof (Actually I think it is bulletproof, it is being used for body armour, as far as I know).

Richard Hamilton

It doesn't need to be dyneema, any tape or short length of rope/prussik cord will do, just isolate your ring straps from the two anchors and if the aluminium bar is really rough you can cover it with a towel or similar :)

rubadub

The rough bar could be covered in tape, like duct tape, electrical insuation tape or even sellotape.

George Launchbury

What about wrapping with an old bicycle inner tube (like you might apply a bandage, or put a grip onto a racquet)?

 

That would protect your straps and give them some grip on the bar.

 

Edit: By which I mean wrapping a section of the bar.

Ravn

For some of my climbing gear, I've sometimes used hollow braided nylon tape, which you can buy in climbing shops, and then threaded whatever needs protection through the tape, which acts as a protective sleeve. Cheap and very abrasion-resistant.

Robmob

I ended up throwing a towl on there for now, doubled it over and it looks fine. Ill post any news in case of further fraying. I might put on some rubber like George suggested.

Thanks to everybody

Good training