This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090123

Started by Coach Sommer, January 23, 2009 · 12 Replies · 2,222 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090123.jpg

Complete the following:

10 minutes in XR Strap HS

Post the overall time spent working to achieve the 10 min XR Strap HS total and the average length of your HS sets below.

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) To perform an XR Strap HS, first drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6"-8" from the ground. Now kick up into a HS, widely straddling your legs so that they catch on the straps. Note that your legs will remain in contact with the straps during the entire time in HS. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your XR Strap HS.

2) Only time spent in the actual handstand counts toward your 10 minute total. Perform as many sets as necessary to reach this 10 minute total.

3) If an XR Strap HS is currently beyond you, instead spend 20 minutes in a Wall HS.

4) Be sensitive to your wrists; if the training load is too great for them, end this workout early. Do not be overly concerned if this is necessary. Your wrist strength will continue to improve over time if you are patient.

Blairbob

wee, as much as i enjoy my own programming, i really enjoy these GB WOD's. I'm probably not focusing on anything as much as I should; but they really are good besides not having to program for myself.

Edward Smith

Are the current WOD's meant as a complete* training program, in conjunction with our own thing, either/or?

*by complete training program I mean strength wise, not including flexibility. And of course the WOD's will become more complete once all the GymnasticsBodies volumes are released

sghetti

Started around 12, just finished a few minutes ago. Did about 2:40 of XR Strap HS. I counted that as 5 minutes. Finished the rest of the 15 minutes against the wall, averaging 45 to 60 seconds between holds. Haven't worked out in a while but it was doable. The wrist pushups were easier than I thought they would be after a long break. Concentrated on keeping a hollow body.

Coach, I would like to ask for your help. I will be as brief and precise as possible.

My left shoulder feels tighter than my right. Looking at the mirror, my left collarbone is higher than my right by I would say 1/4". When I wear my coat for church, I can feel the lateral part of my left shoulder (right where the anterior and lateral shoulder meet) hit the front of my coat if I relax my body.

When I do any kind of planche variation, judging by soreness, I feel my right anterior deltoid sore, while my left arm bears the weight on the lateral deltoid.

Coach Sommer, I would like to know what you would recommend. Here are two pictures I took the time to edit in hopes of an answer:

(1) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/nevfo/shldr.jpg

(2) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/nevfo/shldrreal-1.jpg

(1) Red part is the anterior deltoid. Purple part is the lateral deltoid. Left collar bone is higher.

(2) An actual picture with my body "relaxed." I'm the one on the right with my face covered. Shoulder rotates inward, left forearm is in front of left hip, bicep pulls arm (as if I were doing a curl.)

I realize it may not be a simple answer. If you can name the muscle I need to stretch and/or work out, I will do the research.

Best,

Lost Student

braindx

Are you left handed? Do you play any throwing sports?

Check your internal and external rotation (cuban press rotation works), flexion, extension, abduction, etc. and compare them. If you have a goniometer that would be excellent.. if not get someone to use a protractor to estimate an angle.

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

Hopefully, it's not something structural but just tight muscles or something like that. I'd ask you to feel/look for tight muscles, but that might be too hard if you don't have a decent understanding of physiology.

Higher collarbone tends to indicate that the scapula on that side is elevated and possibly protracted some. Could be tight muscles.. could be some trauma.. etc. Dunno you didn't really give me much to work with.

Neal Winkler

This workout was serious. I could only do 5 minutes worth of the rings. I felt like I couldn't shrug my shoulders all the way and it was hard to full extend my elbows but I think I got them. Turning out the hands was difficult as well.

Jason Stein

10min XR HS

Sets: 30sec, 30, 35, 55, 40, 35, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60, 15

2x10 Wrist Push-ups [On knees!]

Side/front split work

---Rested 2-5 minutes between sets.

---Once my technique improved it made longer holds possible.

---Finished with gas in the tank; maybe next time increase to 75-second sets?

---Any advice on how to relieve ring pressure on forearm when turning out hands? I'll have to play with this.

best,

jason

usalvr2

Newbie Needs help.

So, I got the official word my Book and DVD's are in route! :)

But, in the mean time, newbie questions.

So, is it supposed to hurt like a 'Mother' when your doing the wrist push ups? Or, if it hurts are you doing it wrong? I feel like my wrists are going to CRACK! Normal?

Any and all help truly appreciated.

sinc, --g.

p.s. Also, and I will post in anohter forum: What if I cant do 'that' much of the work outs. For example, a few days ago when we had the 'do as many as you can in 15 minutes' I barely got through two rounds. Why? Because I am just not strong enough to hold certain things. If thats the case How should I train. Should I suppliment with CrossFit. Or, Rig a system of bands, so I can hoold out longer? It feels like my muscles are giving out to fast--and thus, not getting much of a work out. Does that make sense? Or, is the absolute super tension cuz i'm trying as hard as I can equal to a longer work out? I feel like i'm not doing enough work. For example, when we did the ERbs: I did the headstand erb progression as suggested. And, i was olny up for such a short period of time that I felt weak--cowardly! But, i was so tense, they were hurting and I was sore the next day.

Any Thoughts? Any and all thoughts truly appreciated.

chauinc

No the wrist push ups shouldn't hurt. You should start working them on your knees(like girl push ups) then progress to the full one. If you don't give time for your hands to heal you WILL get hurt one way or another so take it slow for these.

Neal Winkler

Yeah, you need to start from the knees or even lighter by going to the knees and piking (stick your butt in the air).

sghetti

Braindx, thank you so much.

Sorry for not writing back sooner. As soon as I read your post I printed out the attached link and talked to my friend who is a masseur. He's going to be helping me out with identifying the tight muscles and getting those measurements.

I am not left handed and I do not play or have played any throwing sports. Not competitively at least.

What I do recall is an elevated collar bone since at least 9th grade (2nd semester as a sophomore in college now.) In 11th grade I was polevaulting and completely dislocated my left elbow. Weeks later I would sleep with my bodyweight on my left arm (palm facing away into the bed) and extended completely from my shoulder down to the inside of my leg. This allowed me to wake up with full range of motion, but I think it also tightened some muscles.

I'm very determined. This is a problem that keeps haunting me and always comes to bite me in the butt when I go all out in my strength pursuits.

Monday I'm going to my school's physical therapy department and I'll see if I can get a goniometer.

Thanks again! Any advice or anything would be very much appreciated.

braindx

Learn to sleep on your back man. Sleeping on your side = no good and can mess up your posture and stuff like that.

My left collarbone is a little warped because I used to sleep on my left side a lot...

Ido Portal

I have one word of advice:

Osteopathy.

Find a good practitioner and go see him as soon as you can. This is excatly the kind of thing they do best.

Ido.