Elbow and Back Lever

Started by simontrains, May 6, 2013 · 2 Replies · 3,632 Views

simontrains

I have been making good progress with my back lever, almost to the point where I can hold a full back lever (however, better form is needed). I have started to experience a bit of unnatural pain whilst performing this exercise. I think this is due to my hyperextension whilst in the supinated grip.

 

I am thinking of laying off this exercise for a few weeks so as not to develop tendinitis, and return in a few weeks to focus more on the basics (ADFT) and build back up.

 

Is elbow pain natural with hyperextension? I remember reading somewhere that the BL should be felt on the bicep not the rear elbow. If this isn't the case I've probably tried to progress a bit too fast.

Joshua Slocum

Elbow pain is a sign that you've been progressing too fast for your joints to keep up. Giving your elbows a rest is a good idea. My recommendation for when you resume back-lever training would be to go back to a straddled back lever (or even advanced tuck if the straddle also makes your elbows hurt), and train that for more volume. You should also be focusing on form. It's much easier to learn a back lever with good form than it is to learn a back-lever with bad form and then try to correct it. 

Jon Douglas

Just want to put extra emphasise on higher volume holds as Hari said. A 30-60sec warmup set or two adds up to a lot of durability over a few months.