Outdoor Parallel Bars

Started by Brendan Coad, May 5, 2013 · 5 Replies · 7,276 Views

Brendan Coad
I have seen various outdoor parallel bar sets made of what appears to be a type of metal pipe for plumbing.

 

1.  Does anyone have a material list / specifications and/or directions for sets similar to this?

 

2. Does anyone have positive and/or negative comments about using a setup like this?

 

3. Are those sturdy enough for some dynamic elements?  Swinging dips maybe but not swings to handstand?  

 

I have seen plans for more permanent fixtures but I think my wife would be appreciative of a modular set.  Also if I was going to store these outside are there any protective measures to take?  If it plumbing material it should be OK to be left out in the elements?

karimoo

I build a set of parallel bars in my backyard a few years back.  10ft 4x4 posts dug about 3ft down and held with concrete.  Initially I had used steel RMC for the bars, but they got rusty pretty quick and they were too thin for my taste.  I replaced them with some thick copper pipes which work great and are much more weatherproof.  Swinging dips and handstands are more than do-able on mine, but I wouldn't try doing any landings on them since they don't have as much give as the wooden bars.

Brendan Coad

Thanks for the response.  I have seen specifications for bars similar to yours with wooden posts.  What I am curious about are bars that could be described as large scale paralettes.  I'm in a rental so sinking posts isn't an option.

Cole Dano

If you use key clamps - http://www.key-clamps.com/Catalogue.htm

 

and aluminium pipe / painted, coated or galvanised steel pipe you should be able to come up with a rig that will be both stable, weather resistant and easy to dismantle for those Sunday barbecues. 

TANSTAAFL
Cole Dano said:

If you use key clamps - http://www.key-clamps.com/Catalogue.htm

 

and aluminium pipe / painted, coated or galvanised steel pipe you should be able to come up with a rig that will be both stable, weather resistant and easy to dismantle for those Sunday barbecues. 

They have a slightly cheaper knock off form of kee clamp here: http://www.Farmtek.com. Shipping kills with either so if you can find these locally rock that. I pretty much did the same thing Slizzardman/Naterman/Whatever he's calling himself these days did. I got my pipe from Lowes(5x10ft of 1 1/4in) and had it cut there into 5ft pieces. From there assembly is pretty easy. I don't have any base on mine so they are a bit shaky, but not about to fall over even when swinging. You might even want to go for a wider base piece so it's not just 2.5ft on a side, but then you would have to buy more pipe/possibly end up with leftover. I would definitely at least get metal end caps for the base so your not teeter tottering across the middle...but then again, it is a little more fun. Here are some links where Slizzardman explains some specs/you can see them in action. A little shaky, but he's a big guy.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/2808-show-your-homegym/

 

 

Brendan Coad

Thanks for all the info everyone, I got exactly what I was looking for.  I'll reply to this topic once I make them and include thoughts on construction and any improvements or other uses that come to mind.  Though now that I know construction should be relatively simple it won't be for a while since I shouldn't need them for my foundation work for a bit.