The F1 model shows the hands pointed forward at about a 45 degree angle.
I've seen other vids on YouTube where the hands point out to the side or backwards towards the feet.
So what is the correct hand position for the Pseudo Planche Pushup?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by dynamo, May 4, 2013 · 9 Replies · 393 Views
The F1 model shows the hands pointed forward at about a 45 degree angle.
I've seen other vids on YouTube where the hands point out to the side or backwards towards the feet.
So what is the correct hand position for the Pseudo Planche Pushup?
I think it's whatever angle you are most comfortable with. I think hands pointing out to the side or forward make it easier on the elbow but some people have problems with the wrist flexibility required. Hands pointing backward make the movement harder on the elbow but it's slightly easier on the wrist.
Choose what feels the most comfortable for your wrists. If your final goal is planch I would also choose à position that makes you be able to "hug" the floor with your shoulders in the top position of the movement.
dritar said:I think it's whatever angle you are most comfortable with. I think hands pointing out to the side or forward make it easier on the elbow but some people have problems with the wrist flexibility required. Hands pointing backward make the movement harder on the elbow but it's slightly easier on the wrist.
dritar,
Thank you for your response. You gave me good pointers to watch for regarding hand position and wrist vs elbow stress.
Mats Trane said:Choose what feels the most comfortable for your wrists. If your final goal is planch I would also choose à position that makes you be able to "hug" the floor with your shoulders in the top position of the movement.
Mats,
Thank you for the answer. Good idea to be thinking ahead toward the end game which is the planche.
this question was answered before .. and I am pretty sure that you should not use hand facing backwards position in this stage of development. I would use the same as in F1, and if wrist does not allow, than 90 degrees to the side.
Mats Trane said:Choose what feels the most comfortable for your wrists. If your final goal is planch I would also choose à position that makes you be able to "hug" the floor with your shoulders in the top position of the movement.
It's possible to "hug" the floor with all hand positions.
spyro7800 said:this question was answered before .. and I am pretty sure that you should not use hand facing backwards position in this stage of development. I would use the same as in F1, and if wrist does not allow, than 90 degrees to the side.
There are some people who have extremely inflexible or hypersensitive wrists that hurt even with the hands to the sides. I was once one of those people and I would recommend wrists stretching and conditioning for those people if they can't stand hands backwards.
Yes-- same experience, the lack of flexibility also stunted my middle split hold for a long time. H1 has fixed that in short order
B1214N
Thanks for the tip. Keeping my hands by my hips, facing them forward and turned out 45 degrees like the F1 model shows does cause my wrists to cramp so I've been instinctively stretching them by bending my hands down in between sets of the Pseudo Planche Pushup.
I'll probably start experimenting with different hand positions and start incorporating H1 wrist stretches.
spyro7800 said:this question was answered before .. and I am pretty sure that you should not use hand facing backwards position in this stage of development. I would use the same as in F1, and if wrist does not allow, than 90 degrees to the side.
It turns out hands 90 degrees to the side eliminates the painful cramping in my wrists, but it seemed like it was harder to do them this way because I was using more of the front of my shoulder muscles in a way they are not used to being used.
Doing them this way it will take me a little longer (I'm thinking maybe 8 weeks longer) to get to Mastery, but well worth because I think it is moving me closer to full planche hand and shoulder position.