So I've heard from numerous sources (non gymnastic sources that is) that any kind of behind the shoulder pressing should be avoided, and dips in particular get slandered a lot. General advice seems to be if you MUST do dips, never go below parallel and if you feel it in the shoulders more than the triceps, you've gone too far and will immediately dislocate your shoulder, tear your pecs, bust open your AC joint and be crippled for life....
But common advice for the muscle up seems to be to work dips as deep as possible, which places quite a bit of emphasis on shoulders... And then there's the back lever, which is an even more strenuous behind-the-shoulder press.
I've been getting a slight pain in one of my pecs, seems to be at an insertion point into the clavicle, and so I'm wondering about the legitimacy of various peoples claims.
So what are the real dangers of dips and back levers, and how do you adequately prepare your shoulders to deal with the stresses? I know about german hang, but is there anything else I should be working on?