This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

before Deck Squat

Started by PLO8, May 3, 2013 · 9 Replies · 329 Views

PLO8

Getting ready to embark on F1 course, however there is one issue.  Unfortunately, the only issue I have, is that I cannot complete a deck squat without the assistance of a 35lb kettlebell.  I am 5'8", and 210 lbs. around 65 lbs. away from my ideal weight.  Yet I am determined to embark on GST hence my purchase of the F! course.  

 

I would really appreciate if someone qualified would be kind enough to recomend a simpler exercise that I can use to build up to a proper deck squat.  After doing a few deck squats with a ketllebell my right knee was quite sore for the next 4 days.  And the last thing I want to do is injure myself.  With my limited experience I was thinking of starting out with a basic wall squat....     

Joshua Naterman

That's not a bad idea, along with basic bodyweight squats (working on form and ROM slowly). Also, do slow negative deck squats.

 

If you have something like a panel mat, you could try doing the deck squats off of that, and slowly unfold it to lower the height (and therefore the assistance) as you get comfortable.

Michael S.

my personal progression was:

 

1. Use a 1´´ mat and a counterweight

2. Then gradually reduce the counterweight until i was able to do them on a mat without any assistance

3. Then get rid of the mat but use a counterweight again

4. Reduce the counterweight until none is needed

 

Also practising bottom holds with holding something in front for balance have helped me a bit.

hukka

I can get one or two deck squats without assistance and keeping my feet close to each other.

 

What i was wondering would it be better to just

 

a) work with few repetitions holding my feet together (maybe 3x1 or something as even 3x2 seemed to go wide yesterday), Problem with this is that i can't really tell descending if i will be able to do it well.

 

b) allow my feet go wider

 

or

 

c) try assisted (for example counterweight) ones?

Nic Branson

For most this is not a strength problem but a mobility one. You've got to work on opening your hips up and loosening your glutes.

Goblet squats and figure 4 stretches followed by practicing the roll without standing out of it will fix almost everyone after they put some work into it.

I HATE wall squats they teach bad mechanics and cover up mobility problems. Mobility has to be fixed.

I don't have time now to type detailed instruction on how to do those if you look them up, do them honestly and patiently no rushing.

hukka
Nic Branson said:

For most this is not a strength problem but a mobility one. You've got to work on opening your hips up and loosening your glutes.

 

Would you think that mobility is the problem with me as well even if i can make 1 or two deck squats?

 

just wondering as I'm pondering how to proceed with these.

 

Edit: i think i can still make 1 pistol squat (mainly abs start to cramp). Haven't tried tho. So that's about the strength level i'm speaking of in this context

Nic Branson

Since you can already do one or two you just need more practice. What I posted could be useful as I am sure you would find the figure 4 stretch to be rather uncomfortable.

hukka
Nic Branson said:

Since you can already do one or two you just need more practice. What I posted could be useful as I am sure you would find the figure 4 stretch to be rather uncomfortable.

Aaa that one (just checked it from google). I think i do like it a lot (i mean in an nicely painful way). Thanks Will try to add it to my regime

hukka

Ok i did some more testing this week.

 

and it seems that i'm consistently able to do the deck squat with using a 1s pause in the low position if i let my feet go wide  (bit narrower than shoulder width),  when coming up. But not with feet in as narrow position as in the video.

 

I was wondering what are your thoughts, should i work with assisted ones with narrower feet or just do these wider ones in progression and later try to get the feet closer.

Nic Branson

Work up with the wider position for a bit as they are not wider than your shoulders, then step back and try it with narrower foot position.