This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Incoorporating backlever progression and muscle up

Started by MarcinTrybalski, May 2, 2013 · 17 Replies · 504 Views

MarcinTrybalski

 Hello brothers and sisters from around the world :) ,

 

 first of all thank you very much for all the valuable information you are offering in this community and the unbelievable support. I actually fell in love in gymnastics some time ago and just stumbled across the amazing F1/H1 courses and bought them immediately. I´m so happy with it and i`m looking forward to work with these two courses for the next months and years to become a more balanced human both physically and mentally ;) So in conclusion huge appreciation to the team which created such an amazing work which allows me to get access to the world of gymnastics as a non gymnast.

 

But now to my question concerning my planned routine schedule: I´ll try Mo: F1 ; Tue:H1 ; Wed: F1 ; Thu: H1 ; Fri: H1; Sat: H1. Before i purchased F1 and H1 i `ve been working on muscle up transitions very hard and finally got some of my first muscle ups on rings. Furthermore i practiced the advanced tuck backlever as well and hit already 19x10 secs, so i thought about progressing further by trying for example the one leg out or straddle back lever.That beeing said, is it reasonable to add them somehow to my planned routine in order to stay at the point where i´m at right now with these two exercices ?

that`s the link to a short video of one of my first muscle ups :)

Thank you in advance for your input !

 

Regards,

 

Marcin from germany

jwalker497

Congrats man nice work!  Im curious what exercises did you do to get the muscleup?  I am stuck in the transition phase and cant seem to get any progress. 

Joshua Slocum

If you wish to keep your strength on those two elements (or any elements) while working F1+H1, perform 2 sets of each after your F1/H1 work. These sets should be at a light to medium intensity. These 'maintenance sets' should be done 2-3 times a week. So for example if your current max hold for the advanced-tuck back-lever is 30s, you might do a 2x15s set after your F1 work. 

 

Performing these sets should allow you to maintain the strength and skill you've already developed. You'll probably notice them getting easier as time goes on, since the F1 work will be continually improving your strength.  :)

Keilani Gutierrez

depending on for what supplemental purposes, i'm curious as to why you're only doing F1 two days a week? is your focus primarily H1? 

 

 

as to your muscle up work, Muscle up work will be covered after the F series is mastered. by that time, we'll have developed sufficient endurance(in the sense of going through so many pressing and pulling elements) and strength(if you can do a Hollow back press and a Sick rope climb, who wouldn't?) to make work on the muscle up be worth while. 

 

not that i'm saying it isn't worthwhile now, I'm sure you can develop some strength with it, but think about it. can you do 5x5 of muscle ups? perfect tempo, false grip secure the entire time, beginning from a dead hang and finishing in a XR RTO support? 

 

-this- is why muscle up work hasn't been included in the F series. 

 

as for Back Lever, I don't know when it comes out. we'll have to wait for F3 to be released to know that for sure 

MarcinTrybalski

So nice, thank you very much. I`m going to try F1 three times per week and not only twice like i mentioned. Anyway i`m slowly reaching the point of letting all my previous strength elements behind me and just dedicating my time exclusively on the F1/H1 course to develop a well balanced physique :) My body will be thankful for that in the long run i think.

I´ll definitly use the possibilty to post some of the performed exercices just to nail the correct way of execution ;) So, once again thank you for your input guys it helped me a lot !

Ravn

I work a bit of adv. tuck planche and FL, and also full back lever prior to F1 upper body days, which works fine, but be conservative: Do less than max effort. I also wanted to include muscleups, but decided to drop them, since my ability to do them is maintained just fine by F1 and H1. Tested muscle-ups the other day, after not having done them regularly for three months, and I am more or less at the level I was when I left them. I think that HS/pe2-iM in particular contributes to this.

The Wykydtron
KeilaniG said:

depending on for what supplemental purposes, i'm curious as to why you're only doing F1 two days a week? is your focus primarily H1? 

 

 

as to your muscle up work, Muscle up work will be covered after the F series is mastered. by that time, we'll have developed sufficient endurance(in the sense of going through so many pressing and pulling elements) and strength(if you can do a Hollow back press and a Sick rope climb, who wouldn't?) to make work on the muscle up be worth while. 

 

not that i'm saying it isn't worthwhile now, I'm sure you can develop some strength with it, but think about it. can you do 5x5 of muscle ups? perfect tempo, false grip secure the entire time, beginning from a dead hang and finishing in a XR RTO support? 

 

-this- is why muscle up work hasn't been included in the F series. 

 

as for Back Lever, I don't know when it comes out. we'll have to wait for F3 to be released to know that for sure 

 

Are you sure?  I thought I remembered reading that muscle ups were included later in the Foundation series

Keilani Gutierrez
The Wykydtron said:

Are you sure?  I thought I remembered reading that muscle ups were included later in the Foundation series

apparently, mastering the Rope climb has a direct impact on the strength of the transition, so that when we do get to the MU specific work, we can do it with volume. which i understand, because i can do 14 pullups and 7-8 dips but can only fire out 2 muscle ups in a row on a phenomenally amazing day. apparently it falls under the category of "preparatory element" for Iron Cross since eventually working on wide  muscle ups puts stress on the elbow similar to IC(Iron Cross). 

 

imagine how cool it'll be that the day you start doing PE's for Muscle up, you'll be able to fire out multiple sets with reps? fffuuuuuuu. me want. 

Craig

I believe BL was left out because the planche and side lever covers strength through the back line anyways, and should come relatively easily after foundations is finished?

 

As for the muscle ups, what everyone else said.

Jon Douglas
Craig said:

I believe BL was left out because the planche and side lever covers strength through the back line anyways, and should come relatively easily after foundations is finished?

 

As for the muscle ups, what everyone else said.

Pretty much this IMO ^

Surely no one can argue that excellent shoulder mobility + solid straddle planche + solid front lever + a small amount of specific work != back lever.

The Wykydtron

So after finishing F4, you will be able to hold a straddle planche right? But still won't be able to do a muscle up?

 

I've only been doing GST since starting F1 as you can see by my signature, so I'm asking out of curiosity. Maybe thats how the process goes in gymnastics training, I dont know

Joshua Slocum
The Wykydtron said:

So after finishing F4, you will be able to hold a straddle planche right? But still won't be able to do a muscle up?

 

I've only been doing GST since starting F1 as you can see by my signature, so I'm asking out of curiosity. Maybe thats how the process goes in gymnastics training, I dont know

 

Assuming the muscle-up is not in rope-climb in F3/4, you'll be able to hold a straddle planche, but won't have trained muscle-ups as part of your Foundation work. That doesn't mean you won't be able to do one. This is not because you couldn't theoretically have trained a muscle-up earlier, but because the program's designer (Coach) has decided that other exercises are a more productive use of a beginner's time. 

The Wykydtron
Hari_Seldon said:

Assuming the muscle-up is not in rope-climb in F3/4, you'll be able to hold a straddle planche, but won't have trained muscle-ups as part of your Foundation work. That doesn't mean you won't be able to do one. This is not because you couldn't theoretically have trained a muscle-up earlier, but because the program's designer (Coach) has decided that other exercises are a more productive use of a beginner's time. 

 

 

Yeah I get you. I had assumed that the MU would be in F3 or F4, but we will see. I, along with a ton of people I'm sure, am just antsy to get a proper muscle up. I can do 22 dead hang pullups, and around the same number of dips, but can only do 4-5 muscle ups on a bar, and thats with momentum/ kip. There's just something about the movement that I don't get.

As a result I pretty much stopped trying them when I started F1, so whatever gets me there is cool I guess. Just curious

The Wykydtron
Charm said:

Pretty much this IMO ^

Surely no one can argue that excellent shoulder mobility + solid straddle planche + solid front lever + a small amount of specific work != back lever.

 

This makes me wonder too, since in BTGB coach says that a back lever is a stepping stone for the front lever and planche and should be established before a planche will be successful...

 

 

Zach Armijo said:

The MU is pretty straight forward. If you never work strength in the transition, then being able to do 50 pullups and dips will not help you anymore. After achieving a solid rope climb, a MU will be walk in the park.

 

 

Well I would love to be able to do 50 pullups, but I see what you're saying  ;)

Keilani Gutierrez
Hari_Seldon said:

Assuming the muscle-up is not in rope-climb in F3/4, you'll be able to hold a straddle planche, but won't have trained muscle-ups as part of your Foundation work. That doesn't mean you won't be able to do one. This is not because you couldn't theoretically have trained a muscle-up earlier, but because the program's designer (Coach) has decided that other exercises are a more productive use of a beginner's time. 

going along those lines, if we're being exposed to the same basic training before we get onto the more advanced ring stuff, it'll be crazy seeing forum members years from now, performing 120 muscle ups in 15 minutes similar to what Coaches athletes did in BtGB. #daydreams

Jon Douglas

Bl is useful, i regard time building up mine as a good investment, but if Coach's method doesn't require it, Im happy to accept foundation over btgb. Maybe it'll even appear as mobility work alongside F3 or 4 planche work.

Actually... that sounds very possible. Taking all bets!

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Bl is useful, i regard time building up mine as a good investment, but if Coach's method doesn't require it, Im happy to accept foundation over btgb. Maybe it'll even appear as mobility work alongside F3 or 4 planche work.

Actually... that sounds very possible. Taking all bets!

omg. 10-30sec BL variation as mobility? #damn

Jon Douglas

Id guess closer to 10, if I were a betting man. Ill be interested to see how that works out; the im's have been through most suprising parts of this course