This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When iM limits progression...

Started by Jon Douglas, May 2, 2013 · 6 Replies · 634 Views

Jon Douglas

For example, as in H1 or sPLSE mobility...

 

What do people think about running the wk 9-12 cycle vs. maintaining the PE reps at wk 11 while building the required mobility? I've been doing well with the latter thus far, before the exercises have gotten too intense, and I find myself in the same position again with SLS and sPLSE1, that the PE mastery is easy while I cannot yet complete the mobility perfectly.

Obviously it takes as long as it takes, but is there any reason to drop and rebuild the reps in the PE in the meantime?

Joshua Slocum

I think it's largely up to personal preference and how difficult the exercise is for you. If it's moderately difficult, some periodization is probably a good thing. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

I think it's largely up to personal preference and how difficult the exercise is for you. If it's moderately difficult, some periodization is probably a good thing. 

In that case, wouldn't it still be better to keep the reps (relatively) high? As long as form remains good, I mean, so as to get more total practice volume on a given element.

I realise some variance can have a good effect, but I wonder if it's necessary beyond keeping that deload.

Coach Sommer

Although both have merit, my personal preference is for repeating the 9-12 microcycle for three reasons;

 

1) physically it increases recovery

2) mentally it provides a break from the tedium of always using the same workout  

3) it also allows for a greater focus on bringing the lagging iM work up to par.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Makes sense. I believe Ill err on the side of Coach's advice.

Thanks :)

FredInChina
Charm said:

Makes sense. I believe Ill err on the side of Coach's advice.

Thanks :)

 

Difficult choice, eh? ;):P

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Difficult choice, eh? ;):P

I gave it critical consideration for all of, say, long enough to hit the 'Reply' button.