This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single bar dips and note about leaning forward

Started by Eric Xavier, May 2, 2013 · 9 Replies · 398 Views

Eric Xavier

The note for undergrip single bar dips says this corrects forward lean in dips.

 

It would be very nice to have a video of this dip from the side.

 

If anything I find the undergrip makes me lean forward even more.  I always focus on staying straight in my ring dips, and having the rings moving along the middle of the body helps keep straight.  The bar being in front forces me to have more of a lean.

 

It's even worse at the bottom of the dip.  I have to hunch forward to touch the bar with my upper chest, other wise my hands just slip off.  

 

Any thoughts?

Coach Sommer

You may only brush the bar lightly.  Anything more than that constitutes "leaning" on the bar and is a failed rep.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

 

Coach Sommer said:

You may only brush the bar lightly.  Anything more than that constitutes "leaning" on the bar and is a failed rep.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So if hypothetically I were to make a point of touching my chest to the bar at the bottom to ensure my ROM, would that be a bad habit?

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

So if hypothetically I were to make a point of touching my chest to the bar at the bottom to ensure my ROM, would that be a bad habit?

The important thing is that you're not using the bar on your torso for support. If you tap your chest to the bar to ensure good ROM that's fine. Just make sure it's nothing more than a tap. 

Nic Branson

There should be no impression of the bar on your skin. No resting on it.

Jon Douglas

Gotcha. Not that I thought it was necessarily an invalidation of the exercise, more a bad habit that could lead me off into worse form in the future. I'll be diligent.

Gavin S

How much pike is allowed in the hips when doing this exercise? Or is it simply keep it to a minimum?

LIE

How is the elbow?

In the video it seems going out.

Nic Branson

There is some piking for balance, it should happen naturally and will be slightly different due to body weight and size. Don't get carried away with it.

Gavin S

Thanks.