This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PPP Form Check

Started by mm356, May 2, 2013 · 2 Replies · 145 Views

mm356

I completed 5x10 this week and was ready to move on until I took a video (of course!).  Are my hands considered "just in front of the hips", or should I get them back some more before moving on to PE4?  I actually enjoy these, so I have no problem going back and cleaning them up, but I honestly have no idea how I'd get the hands back further.  I feel it is a leverage limitation instead of a strength limitation, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

 

I know they aren't as far back as the video, but it seems to me that he went much further back than "just in front of the hips".  Just looking for a little guidance... all comments welcome!

 

The "top" shot is actually a split second after the descent had started, so that's why it doesn't resemble a planche lean.

post-4874-0-68798600-1367458698_thumb.pn

post-4874-0-67501900-1367458708_thumb.pn

Gavin S

From the angle of your calves I am going to guess that you are doing these with your feet in the typical position for pushups, although I may be wrong. If you watch the PPP video the gymnast is on the tops of his feet. This changes the movement quite alot. Even better, get on the tops of your toes on a slider.

 

You could probably get a little more lean in as well. A video would be more ideal as we could see if you are maintaining depressed and protracted scaps throughout the rep.

mm356
Gavin S said:

From the angle of your calves I am going to guess that you are doing these with your feet in the typical position for pushups, although I may be wrong. If you watch the PPP video the gymnast is on the tops of his feet. This changes the movement quite alot. Even better, get on the tops of your toes on a slider.

 

You could probably get a little more lean in as well. A video would be more ideal as we could see if you are maintaining depressed and protracted scaps throughout the rep.

I typically do these on the tops of the feet like in the video, as I had noticed that and found it does make a difference with the lean during the descent.  But you are right - they don't look like it in the pics.

 

I'll shoot another video this evening and post back.  The other one was too long and I didn't have editing tools handy so I just went with screenshots.  I was mainly concerned about hand position, but hey - I'll take any other needed pointers as well!  Thanks for the tips.